Any hockey fans here?
Oct 24, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #16 of 37
I love hockey. Best sport ever.

I'm glad to have it back, but I think the fines for instigating and diving may be too steep, now. The pacing has improved, and I love the OT shootouts. I've always wanted to see a shootout make a difference in a game and now -- I can.

I've been watching OHL hockey for ten years now, and I'm more proud to wear a Plymouth Whalers sweater than my Red Wings one.

Oct 24, 2005 at 10:48 PM Post #17 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by joe
I've been watching OHL hockey for ten years now, and I'm more proud to wear a Plymouth Whalers sweater than my Red Wings one.

GO KNIGHTS woot woot
tongue.gif
. They did amazing last year, everyone in London was talking about like every day.

Oct 24, 2005 at 11:05 PM Post #19 of 37
I love hockey! I've been a fan since the middle 80's. Ever since I watched the Flyers play way above their heads and take Edmonton to seven games in the finals. Ron Hextall was freakin amazing! I actually went to two of those games. My ultimate sporting experience.

Then I moved to Boston and became a Bruins fan. Bruins season seats 86 thru 90, back when they were good. Great goaltending team Moog and Lemlin. I moved away again and lost track.

Now I'm back in Boston and I want to be a Bruins fan, it's just that Jeremy Jacobs (The owner) is possibly the cheapest bastad in all of sports. Every time a player begins to get good he refuses to pony up and pay them what they are worth, so the player leaves. It's tough to be a fan of the Bruins.

I'm still a Flyers fan.

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:21 PM Post #20 of 37
I am so happy hockey is back and I really think it is better than ever this year. My beloved Sabres have been reborn under the new rules and we are now exciting to watch and actually are doing well.

As well as the things my fellow Rochesterian said earlier, it's good to see Danny Briere scoring well and along with the growth of Ryan Miller (goalie) our defensemen have been playing very well especially Henrik Tallinder. Unlike a lot of teams, we were content with our developing talent and it certainly seems to have paid off. Almost all of our young players have evolved over the time off and we are now reaping the benefits.

I'll be at the Caps game on Wednesday in Rochester as well........heres to hoping they play in the Blue and Gold jerseys. I'll be sporting Pat LaFontaine's old white that night.

GO SABRES!!!

Oct 25, 2005 at 2:38 PM Post #21 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by stromie
I am so happy hockey is back and I really think it is better than ever this year. My beloved Sabres have been reborn under the new rules and we are now exciting to watch and actually are doing well.

As well as the things my fellow Rochesterian said earlier, it's good to see Danny Briere scoring well and along with the growth of Ryan Miller (goalie) our defensemen have been playing very well especially Henrik Tallinder. Unlike a lot of teams, we were content with our developing talent and it certainly seems to have paid off. Almost all of our young players have evolved over the time off and we are now reaping the benefits.

I'll be at the Caps game on Wednesday in Rochester as well........heres to hoping they play in the Blue and Gold jerseys. I'll be sporting Pat LaFontaine's old white that night.

GO SABRES!!!

I'll keep an eye out for you...I'll have my two boys with me.
You are dead on about Briere...he just seems to be able to move into space he created and pick his spot. Miller is another great story..can't wait to see which of the other two they trade..my vote Biron.
Sorry to steal this thread away from the original question...
biggrin.gif

-Nac...

Oct 27, 2005 at 1:01 AM Post #22 of 37
Yikes>You know No.4 is the greatest B's ever. But your a broadstreet bully fan at heart.

Even though I was late in discovering hockey. I like to watch the the vintage stuff.

My faves are Orr, Bellievue, Bossy, Potvin, Lindsay.

I think I was talking to Grawk a while back and we were discussing hockey. I admit the Oilers were dominant in the mid 80's, but it drives me nuts when they are called a dynasty.

The last true dynasty was the Islanders until those pesky Oilers ended the drive for five.

Oct 28, 2005 at 2:37 PM Post #23 of 37
Dynasty? What qualifies?

Edmonton Five for Seven 84,85,87,88,90

NYI Four for Four 80,81,82,83

Montreal Four for Four 76,77,78,79
Or
Montreal Five for Five 56,57,58,59,60

Montreal Fifteen for Twenty-four 1956 - 1979

I believe that any of these teams qualifies, and I hate to admit it but Montreal is unquestionably the greatest team of all time.

Oct 28, 2005 at 7:08 PM Post #24 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
Dynasty? What qualifies?

Or

I believe that any of these teams qualifies, and I hate to admit it but Montreal is unquestionably the greatest team of all time.

ya there no dought about it. montreal's record is the best in the league.

Oct 28, 2005 at 7:12 PM Post #25 of 37
Played hockey in my late school days - a fun game to play. But my back still hurts...
wink.gif

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Oct 29, 2005 at 2:01 AM Post #26 of 37
Red Wings fan here. Big Time.

Fact: Manny Legace = most wins ever in the history of the NHL for a goalie in the month of October (so far) with 10.

Quote from www.freep.com (Detroit Free Press):

He was humble afterward: "Those guys have been doing it all for me," he said. "It was nice of them to let me play the first period."

Oct 29, 2005 at 2:20 AM Post #27 of 37
Quote:

Originally Posted by Yikes
Dynasty? What qualifies?

Or

true hockey dynasty. Consecutive Stanley cup wins. Grawk and I were having a dicussions about it.

I really liked the mid 70's canadiens.

When every other team were doing the physical thing like the big bad bruins and the broadstreet bullies. The Habs relied on finesse and speed.

Which reminds me of Kenny Dryden. Most hockey fans argue whether he could be consider amongst goalie greats like Roy, Sawchuck, etc.

Remember Dryden use to stand at his goalpost sometimes not doing anything for lengthy periods of time. Then to turn it on and making 3 or 4 saves which should of been goals. In my book at least he is one of the best.

Jan 6, 2018 at 4:17 PM Post #28 of 37
Feels like it´s time for a resurrection. I just wonder is there any true hockey fans left? I mean nowadays a period exist of 50 % commercial power breaks and 50 % play time. So matches is essentially twice as long as they need to be.

And watching the future in juniors world cup you see the same diving as perfected by south american football. Obviously very effective as the referees fall for it every single time. The amount of fake penalties outweigh the real one to the point you just don´t understand what is happening anymore.

It´s a parody of the game it used to be :frowning2:

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:24 AM Post #30 of 37
I'm not a fan of the OTL point. We don't need a winner and a loser. a tie was acceptable for years. I understand that Gary Bettman wants more excitement for the shootouts to occur, but really, that showcases an individual, not the team that we should be focusing on as a whole. And 4 on 4 hockey in overtime? Come on. Put a full squad out there. If they can't get it done in the allotted time, then TIE. The OTL point is like a participation ribbon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back