Any Hi-Fi store in metro-Detroit ???????
Oct 4, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #16 of 32
I just stop upgrade my portable audio with TF10....
Now I can only get hifi information from my friends and head-fi. It's so inconvenient without a real store you can reach.sigh.....

Nov 6, 2011 at 9:33 PM Post #22 of 32

Quote:
Now I can only get hifi information from my friends and head-fi. It's so inconvenient without a real store you can reach.sigh.....

I know the feeling.  There is no store in my area that offers a good selection of headphones.  There are a couple of places that do high end audio but I'm not even close to being in that market.

Nov 15, 2011 at 12:12 AM Post #23 of 32
I'm in Novi, its about 30 minutes away from detroit. I was going to suggest Gramophone but I dont think they have much of a selection of headphones to try out. I think the only way to really try headphones apart from meetups is to save up like 2 grand and buy a couple pairs, test them out, then return them. you dont get the advantage of burn in or anything, but i suppose thats whatever. Especially if you manage to buy a refurb model. Only problem is that half the time you'll lose a bunch of money on just shipping.

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:02 PM Post #24 of 32
Anyone know someone local that could troubleshoot/fix my zero DAC/amp?

Nov 18, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #25 of 32
If only northville could have a hi-fi store. People around here obviously have the money to spend on nice rigs....

Nov 18, 2011 at 10:08 PM Post #26 of 32
Mr.X lives in kalamazoo area.

You could shoot him an email and see if he'll take a look at it for you.

Hell, we should have some kind of mini meetup in novi/northville area. A buddy of mines' mom works at the church. I'm sure I could get her to let us use a few of her rooms or the banquet room to do some kind of demo.

I'm all for it. The room is big enough to fit around 50-70 people, I think. Large room, decently high ceilings. shallow carpet with drywall, but that shouldnt be too bad unless everyone wants to bring in and demo their speakers. We could do a one at a time sort of demo thing for those though.

Nov 24, 2011 at 6:40 PM Post #27 of 32
Anyone can give a workshop on diy for absolute beginners; teaching mostly soldering skills, etc?
I want to start off, however, I'm someone who has a huge mental block against starting new skills and winging it.

Dec 17, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #29 of 32
@herky151 I live there, so if you want to demo any of my stuff its no big deal :)

Dec 21, 2011 at 11:51 AM Post #30 of 32
There's another Detroit area head-fi meetup being planned for early 2012. Introduce yourself in that meetup thread and you can help plan on a time and place and add yourself to the headcount.

Meetups are one of the best ways to meet fellow Head-fiers, try a lot of equipment you'd only read about (whether or not you're considering owning it some day), and ask questions. People are generous with their time and knowledge. I attended two area meetups (one in Ann Arbor, one in Livonia) last year and strongly recommend attending. It's a great time and I'd attend again if I wasn't 500 miles away.

There's usually not much industry representation at the Michigan meets, although Ray Samuels will make an appearance when he can. If you're interested in some specific piece of gear, ask in the meetup thread and see if somebody has something they can bring.

@Herky151: Probably the best place to find Senn HD25-series headphones is at a pro audio store, since Sennheiser markets them to audio engineers. Phone around to places like Guitar Center and its competitors; one or another of them will stock it and let you demo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back