Any help with an ultra portable Amp/DAC setup on a really tight budget?
Apr 22, 2017 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

CoolerCat

Head-Fier
Hello dear fellow Head-fi members,
(Caution: Long Post Ahead)

Jumping straight to the question, I'm looking for an ultra portable Amp/DAC combo unit to start me down the slippery audiophile road and ideally use with my Nexus 5.
It needs to be really small and pocketable, ideally just about the size of a matchbox or a flash drive. I'd also like it if it's battery-less but that's just my taste so correct me if I'm making a mistake. I just don't want to deal with constant recharging. One more thing, I'm on the tightest budget on the planet so it also has to be not more than 150 euro.

So far I've settled for two options:
Centrance DACport Slim and Audioquest Dragonfly Black. I'd really like to hear your opinions on these. Are they worth it or should I go with some cheaper version?
I am a total rookie as it comes to these things, though i've done some reading, and have never before actually tried anything else than my Nexus' build in solution (I imagine it's not really comparable). I am totally open to any suggestions you might have so long as i can afford it. I'd be most thankful if you wish to sell/trade/even gift me some gadget with the risk of losing money or even help me out with a potential fundraiser.

As I've explained, my budget is tight, in fact I'm limited to not more than 200-250 euro. I thought that most of my budget (like a good 150-200 euro) should go for a good Amp/DAC and the leftover (if any) towards a good pair of IEMs, since i'm and IEM person really and it also has to be portable. Please correct me if I'm about to make a mistake and spend some money on the IEMs or even eliminate the Amp/DAC from the equation and just stick with whatever is baked in my Nexus 5. 
While we're on the subject, feel free to suggest any good pair of IEM's to go with the Amp/DAC. Also, I'd like to hear what's the absolutely cheapest portable setup that you would consider buying? 

That's just about it for now and a HUGE THANK YOU for your generous help and even the time it took you to read this.
beerchug.gif

A note to the moderators: So this is my first post here and I've tried to follow some of the regulations though if I've made any mistake you will undoubtedly correct me. Sorry if this is in the wrong forum too and a preliminary thanks for your help.

Apr 23, 2017 at 9:31 AM Post #2 of 6

As I've explained, my budget is tight, in fact I'm limited to not more than 200-250 euro. I thought that most of my budget (like a good 150-200 euro) should go for a good Amp/DAC and the leftover (if any) towards a good pair of IEMs, since i'm and IEM person really and it also has to be portable. Please correct me if I'm about to make a mistake and spend some money on the IEMs or even eliminate the Amp/DAC from the equation and just stick with whatever is baked in my Nexus 5. 
While we're on the subject, feel free to suggest any good pair of IEM's to go with the Amp/DAC. Also, I'd like to hear what's the absolutely cheapest portable setup that you would consider buying? 

According to GSMArena's review the Nexus 5 has decent and clean enough audio output, if lacking power/gain. Use an IEM with sensitivity that is well above 100dB/1mW and it should be enough. Alternately, look in Android forums and see if this is a software limitation, in which case, it might be rooted to remove such restrictions.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_nexus_5-review-1011p7.php

Apr 23, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #3 of 6

According to GSMArena's review the Nexus 5 has decent and clean enough audio output, if lacking power/gain. Use an IEM with sensitivity that is well above 100dB/1mW and it should be enough. Alternately, look in Android forums and see if this is a software limitation, in which case, it might be rooted to remove such restrictions.

http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_nexus_5-review-1011p7.php

TNX for the reply man, I was beginning to lose fate.
As for the build in solution of the Nexus 5, it is indeed much better and clearer then my previous phone but I still feel like it lacks something. It's not from the software, that I can tell, as I'm already rooted and running a custom ROM but software doesn't do it for me.

Besides I have almost settled on buying and external Amp/DAC, hence this thread.
Not that I'm unhappy with my Nexus, I just feel like I need something more, something different.
Also, do you think you could suggest any good IEMs that you think are worth (but they'd also have to be pretty affordable). Anything particular in mind?

Apr 24, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #4 of 6

TNX for the reply man, I was beginning to lose fate.
As for the build in solution of the Nexus 5, it is indeed much better and clearer then my previous phone but I still feel like it lacks something. It's not from the software, that I can tell, as I'm already rooted and running a custom ROM but software doesn't do it for me.

Besides I have almost settled on buying and external Amp/DAC, hence this thread.
Not that I'm unhappy with my Nexus, I just feel like I need something more, something different.
Also, do you think you could suggest any good IEMs that you think are worth (but they'd also have to be pretty affordable). Anything particular in mind?

I'm using the Aurisonics ASG-1.3. It even had a problem with my SGS3 since 3 presses of the Vol + button was "almost there," but the fourth press jumps to "TURNITDOWNNOWINTHENAMEOFALLTHATISHOLYTURNITDOWN!!!!!" A firmware update sometime in 2016 fixed that though.

I'd much sooner buy something like the Fender FXA-2 (used to be the Aurisonics Kicker) than split the budget between a DAC-HPamp and the IEM considering the high efficiency. My ASG-1.3 is rated for 125dB at 1mW, tested at 1000hz.

And the thing is, what I understand by "ultraportable" though is "fits in my pocket with as few cables that can get knocked off." Hence why a high sensitivity IEM with a smartphone can still be your best bet, unless you're willing to sacrifice the "ultra" qualifier.

Apr 24, 2017 at 7:16 AM Post #5 of 6

I'm using the Aurisonics ASG-1.3. It even had a problem with my SGS3 since 3 presses of the Vol + button was "almost there," but the fourth press jumps to "TURNITDOWNNOWINTHENAMEOFALLTHATISHOLYTURNITDOWN!!!!!" A firmware update sometime in 2016 fixed that though.

I'd much sooner buy something like the Fender FXA-2 (used to be the Aurisonics Kicker) than split the budget between a DAC-HPamp and the IEM considering the high efficiency. My ASG-1.3 is rated for 125dB at 1mW, tested at 1000hz.

And the thing is, what I understand by "ultraportable" though is "fits in my pocket with as few cables that can get knocked off." Hence why a high sensitivity IEM with a smartphone can still be your best bet, unless you're willing to sacrifice the "ultra" qualifier.

Alright then, well I guess I have to look into some decent highly sensitive IEMs. Besides, I was too unsure if i'd even hear any "clear difference" between a DAC/Amp and no DAC/Amp.
The thing is that I don't know if my poor Nexus could drive a highly sensitive IEM and I don't want to spend a ton of money on something I cant use. I guess I'll have to do some reading then.
TNX though.
smile.gif

Apr 24, 2017 at 1:08 PM Post #6 of 6

Alright then, well I guess I have to look into some decent highly sensitive IEMs. Besides, I was too unsure if i'd even hear any "clear difference" between a DAC/Amp and no DAC/Amp.
The thing is that I don't know if my poor Nexus could drive a highly sensitive IEM and I don't want to spend a ton of money on something I cant use. I guess I'll have to do some reading then.
TNX though.
smile.gif

If the Nexus has a high output impedance or really can't put out enough power/gain, then yes.

You can ask around, or start a new thread/change the title and content of the first post on this thread, asking what IEMs people use with their Nexus 5. That should narrow down your list to a number of IEMs that you can be more confident can be played louder by your smartphone, then from there choose based on what sound characteristics (ie compromise) you prefer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back