Any Headphones that simlar or close to HE-500 in sound? Cable went bad not looking foward to buying a second one.
Jan 18, 2016 at 3:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

genclaymore

Headphoneus Supremus
I had my HE-500 for close to 2 years, while I do love the headphones, the one thing i hate about them is the SMC connection. I had two cables go bad at the SMC end of the cable, besides it being annoying to put on the headphone where it doesn't twist the cable. I don't really wanna buy another set of cables only to have the same thing happen to them 6 months down the road. I not a DIY so I can't really manually fix the cables. I been looking at other headphones with detectable Headphone cables, and I wanted to know if there was any other headphones that either sound like the HE-500 or close to it while having removable cables while at the same time not being way too much mainly around the 400-500 price range.

I was eying the HD700 but I don't know enough about them, There isn't any headphone stores near me that I can go and check out headphones. Like I mention either headphone sound very close to the HE-500's or some what different. I did look at the EL-8 but I don't like the fact the ear-pads are glued on and the quality control issues. I thought about using a SMC female to RCA adapter and use RCA to 3.5 cables that i have laying around from monoprice, but I doubt that would work very well. So I been thinking of just switching headphones to save the time and hassle. About the cables that went bad on me, both of them was the cables was twisted.

Jan 18, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #2 of 3
Hrmm well current versions of the HE-560 now use a plug-in cable, if you think you might want to go that route (as do the HE-400i and 400s, too). I haven't really heard the HE-500 in a long time, so I can't say what else might sound similar.

Btw, there's a meet coming up in Ann Arbor in about 2 months: http://www.head-fi.org/t/792152/2016-southeastern-michigan-spring-meet-march-26-2016-hosted-by-overture-audio-ann-arbor-mi

(And another meet in Chicago in a couple weeks, if you wouldn't mind going that far: http://www.head-fi.org/t/794780/chicago-area-headphone-meet-feb-6th-2016-chiunifi)

Jan 24, 2016 at 6:20 PM Post #3 of 3
Yea I did thought about the HE-560 but I haven't made up my mind up completely as I still researching and trying to see how the HD700 compares before I make a choice. Maybe I get lucky and come across a deal or something which will make it easier to make my mind up. I did look at the HE-400I and S but i having thoughts that I might not like either one. I should have my mind made up in a month or two. Thanks for the info.

If only Hifiman remade the HE-500 with those 2.5mm connections, then it would be a matter of swapping out to those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back