Any headfi-ers in Connecticut?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 31, 2016 at 2:33 PM Post #61 of 107
Quote:

That depends on the amp. I've heard many of the top end big name solid state amplifiers ranging from $5000-$12000 and nothing has ever come close to the realism and detail (not to mention the overall sound quality) of my current tube amp (heavily modified LD MK6) not by a long shot. In fact, depending on the quality of the sound track it becomes hard to distinguish the music from real life, it's kind of spooky (and not to mention amazing).

Hmm... technically true. A very bad SS amp (like the ones found in cheap laptops) are almost certainly not match the ALO Studio 6. I meant only that if one prefers the sound of a good tube amp over the sound of  a good SS amp, they prefer the tube amp because of the distortion added by the tubes. While you obviously know what you are talking about, I am worried that some might read your post and gather the impression that a good tube amp can more accurately reproduce a signal than a solid state amp, which is plainly and objectively false.

Now, certainly, some tubes may add distortion that sounds natural because the transducer has biases. For example the HD800s have that crazy 16db swing that has to be compensated for or else they'll sound atrociously bright. But I think it is important to realize that if tubes make your cans sound better than an SS amp, that's because of a bias in the cans and the tube canceling each other out, not a bias in (any decent) SS amp. 

I'm currently in the middle of designing and building a monster headphone amplifier that will blow away anything you've ever heard, loosely based on the design of my current amplifier although there won't really be anything left of the original design when I'm done with it. I can't imagine how it can possibly sound better than it already does but from an engineering perspective there is huge room for improvement.
I'm hoping to have a finished prototype complete by May, until then I won't be attending any meets.

Oohh... sounds awesome! I hope it goes well and you can bring it to a meet in the north east sometime.

Jan 31, 2016 at 3:17 PM Post #62 of 107
I am worried that some might read your post and gather the impression that a good tube amp can more accurately reproduce a signal than a solid state amp, which is plainly and objectively false

I've learned to largely ignore things like THD and "accurate" signal reproduction. If THD was the end all of good sound then a $20  sound system from best buy would fit the bill since almost anything you buy nowadays will have THD below the threshhold of human hearing.

My 02+Odac had a THD of .0016% or something and it sounded laughable compared to any tube amp I've heard.

My point was the with the right tube amp, the perception of reproducted sound can become invisible to the point where your brain is confused because it sounds like someone is in the room when your eyes say there is not. That kind of spookyness only happens on high quality recordings though, however I don't often come across a track that isn't convincingly real and mesmerizing. It's not even about the music anymore, it's about the experience. 

I've never heard a solid state amp do this, in fact the most expensive solid state amps I've heard costing over 10 grand just sound overall bad in comparison, I'm kind of ashamed of the prices.

The WA22 is a legendary tube amp, the MK6 is commonly said to be on par with the WA22 in sound quality,
I've seen the inside of a WA22 and a partial schematic of its design, it's a pretty simple design and not all that impressive inside.
My MK6 before I gave it some seriously beefy modifications only sounded "good". After modifications it sounded beyond anything I could have imagined without hearing it myself. It made the stock version sound low-fi in comparison.

Therefore it's safe to assume such level of sound quality is not easy to obtain to the average person and it's pretty clear why as the cost of parts and size of the amplifier would make it very difficult to sell.
I'm doing some experiments to see if I can do something about that. In any case I'm disappointed with the available amplifiers on the market and I'm going to attempt to spice it up a bit.  Thousands of dollars have already gone into my efforts and I've only just begun but the results so far are promising.

Feb 4, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #63 of 107
I'm up in Boston, so only two hours away. I'd be interested as long as it was on a Friday or a weekend.

DACmini CX
LCD-3
EL-8 closer
Grado GS1000e

Possibly some assortment of sources and cheap amps...

I'm right outside Boston. 

How do you like the EL-8s?  

Aug 24, 2016 at 9:40 AM Post #66 of 107
Anyone interested in doing a meet anytime soon in the New England region? I live in Rhode Island but can go to Connecticut, Mass, and New Hampshire. 

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:06 AM Post #67 of 107
  Anyone interested in doing a meet anytime soon in the New England region? I live in Rhode Island but can go to Connecticut, Mass, and New Hampshire. 

Definitely!  I'm also in RI. 

Aug 24, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #68 of 107
Cool. I'm really trying to hear the AudioZenith PMx2 more than anything else. If anyone is interested in doing a meet and bring these headphones, I'd be all in. I've been trying to hear this can for months w/ no luck! It's driving me nuts. 

Oct 20, 2016 at 8:54 PM Post #70 of 107
Has this idea of Connecticut meet ever gotten off the ground?

Oct 20, 2016 at 8:58 PM Post #71 of 107
No I don't think it ever did. I would still be curious to doing a meet maybe. I am especially interested in hearing the audio Zenith pmx2 headphone.

Oct 21, 2016 at 6:51 PM Post #73 of 107
  Oh well, looks like the closest we get is NY, which I'm not completely opposed to.

The NY meet has been held in Stamford a few times, not this year tho. The spring meet is usually in Long Island, which isn't too far

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:11 PM Post #74 of 107
  Take 5 Audio in New Haven

Yes, they also do "Layaway"... if you want to purchase something and NOT have it show up on a credit card statement... you know, so the wife doesn't know. Hehe.

Oct 21, 2016 at 7:35 PM Post #75 of 107
hard to believe not that many folks in CT that want to get together. I am in the Hartford area if anyone ever wants to meet up for lunch or something. 

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back