Any HDCD recommendations?
Jul 2, 2003 at 4:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

razerx

100+ Head-Fier
I recently upgraded to a Cary 303/200 which is HDCD compatible. Then I did some research and ended up at HDCD.com but I don't recognize 80 percent of the titles. I had erroneously thought HDCD was more main stream. So what is good in HDCD? So far I have three HDCD's - Beck Sea Changes, Talking Heads Stop Making Sense Special Edition, and Jazz at the Pawnshop.

Jul 2, 2003 at 8:04 PM Post #3 of 28
King Crimson - Discipline. extremely excellent, and every Talking Heads and Jazz fan should check it out.

Jul 3, 2003 at 1:55 PM Post #5 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by fyrfytrhoges
the flaming lips "the soft bulletin"

I second this, and I have my own recommendation:

Dave Brubeck: Time Out
In my opinion, one of the best jazz recordings of all time. I consider it to be one of the best HDCDs as well. It'll really give your system a tax!

Jul 4, 2003 at 10:46 PM Post #7 of 28
The slew of King Crimson reissues (the second set, not the first).
Also, Grateful Dead.
Sigur Rós, ()
The Cars, debut album, Candy-O, and Panorama (three of the earliest HDCD's I've ever heard of)
The Japanese reissues of the Yes albums.

I agree, though, we need to know your tastes, more.

Jul 4, 2003 at 10:51 PM Post #8 of 28
The 24 bit Crimson releases (I
can't comment on the HDCD
aspect) are spectacular, especially
"Islands".

The Yes albums: Relayer and Tales are great.

I found Fragile and Close to the edge
to be treble heavy and shrill to the
point that they are unlistenable.
The American (Gastwirt) remasters
of these two albums are vastly better.

Jul 5, 2003 at 12:17 AM Post #9 of 28
Marc Ribot y Los Cubanos Postizos
Great guitarwork with fun Cuban music. Great recording. My cousin stopped, listened for awhile and said "This is what music should sound like." Get it and enjoy it!

Jul 5, 2003 at 12:45 AM Post #10 of 28
Stabbing westward: darkest days
Paula Cole: this fire

Two albums that are definitely worth purchasing and quite opposites of each other.

Oh, i think Sarah Mclachlan's "Surfacing" album may be HDCD, check it out regardless, it sounds superb.

Jul 5, 2003 at 12:53 AM Post #11 of 28
Tell us about your musical preference and I'm sure you'll get recommendations. [/B][/QUOTE]

Mainstrea rock from the 60's to current but more college radio stuff. Some jazz, classical, new age, and anything goes, really. Thanks.

Jul 5, 2003 at 2:24 AM Post #12 of 28
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
Stabbing westward: darkest days

Doh! How could I have forgotten this one? My reference HDCD. Seconded.

Jul 6, 2003 at 1:44 AM Post #14 of 28
HDCD rules. (The Denon DCM-370 is very capable at the price. I love my Muse Model 2 DAC with Bessel filter and HDCD.)

Lucinda Williams - "Car Wheels on a Gravel Road"

Yes - "Magnification"

Virtually all Yes CD's are available as HDCD remasters from Japan in cardboard sleeves. I agree with Arzela - "Tales" and "Relayer" are the two that give you so much more than the U.S. remasters.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back