Any HD Player Viable At 60 Gig Other Than Zen Xtra?
Jul 11, 2004 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Max Minimum

500+ Head-Fier
I want a hd player with at least 60 gig. Is there any reason to look at something other than a Zen Xtra? I want good sound, too.

Jul 13, 2004 at 9:39 PM Post #2 of 15
You may want to look into the Xclef HD-500, which was rebranded under a few names, notably Digital Mind in the USA. They sell an 80 GB model for pretty cheap, and the player seems to be pretty reliable with firmware updates and stuff (I think there's also open-source firmware available now).

It's just big in dimensions, but it's still pretty slim. There's a review at DAPreview.

Jul 13, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #3 of 15
Oh just a note though, shipping is quite expensive ($25) and there's tax in California. I actually live near their headquarters, so I could probably just drive over if I really wanted one.

Jul 13, 2004 at 10:16 PM Post #4 of 15
The Nomad Jukebox 3 can be upgraded to 80GB through a fairly easy Do-It-Yourself procedure. It might be able to be upgraded to 100GB in the near future as well. It is the player with the most potential maximum memory capacity.

Jul 14, 2004 at 3:58 AM Post #5 of 15
i would not recommend the HD-500 at this time. it is limited to 9999 tracks which only took me 65gb to fill....

there is a firmware upgrade in the works to increase the limit and add OGG but when i tried the beta firmware it killed the player. won't even connect to a PC.

the NJB3 is a good consideration. i took the 80gb drive the from HD-500 and put in the NJB3. last I heard the track limit is 16,000

Jul 14, 2004 at 6:38 AM Post #6 of 15
Thanks for the responses.

I've done some research since I posted this. I came very close to pulling the trigger and buying the XCLEF. The killer was that it doesn't seem to handle random play across directories.

Also, after reading up on compression a bit, I now believe 40 gigs would be fine. So, I'm looking at IRiver now, too. But, I just read a cnet user comment claiming it does not do true random play - you get the same play order every time.

A number of players come very close to being my perfect dap but, in the end, I think I'm hard to please.
smily_headphones1.gif

The IPOD is slick, but too much for what it offers, imo. I like that the IRiver has a line out and I like that the Xtra can do true random play. And, I like that the XCLEF has 80 gig. So, what the world needs is an Xtriveref Pod.

Jul 14, 2004 at 8:57 AM Post #7 of 15
If I had assurance that iRiver was going to fix all or most of the problems with the H100 series, I'd jump on it.

But I don't know anymore. I'd like to believe that it's going to come SOMEDAY, if they'd only let us know.

Jul 14, 2004 at 9:04 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Minimum

I've done some research since I posted this. I came very close to pulling the trigger and buying the XCLEF. The killer was that it doesn't seem to handle random play across directories.

Also, after reading up on compression a bit, I now believe 40 gigs would be fine. So, I'm looking at IRiver now, too. But, I just read a cnet user comment claiming it does not do true random play - you get the same play order every time.

A number of players come very close to being my perfect dap but, in the end, I think I'm hard to please.
smily_headphones1.gif

The IPOD is slick, but too much for what it offers, imo. I like that the IRiver has a line out and I like that the Xtra can do true random play. And, I like that the XCLEF has 80 gig. So, what the world needs is an Xtriveref Pod.

i thought that about the iriver shuffle, but i've been told i'm wrong, so apparently, it does shuffle fine.

Jul 14, 2004 at 1:02 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Also, after reading up on compression a bit, I now believe 40 gigs would be fine.

Yeah, I've got a 40 gig JB3, and let me assure you, 40 gigs at 192 compression will hold one helluva lot of music. I've had mine over two years and I still have over 6 gigs of free space. I figured it out once -- I think I can play it 24/7 for 3 weeks and never hear the same track twice. Something like that.

Jul 14, 2004 at 9:08 PM Post #11 of 15
A friend had an Archos Jukebox 20 (something like that) and the thing frequently paused the music momentarily (building buffer?). This happened on about every other song. Then, the battery just died one day. He was never able to charge it again. Also, no shuffling across directories... Their multimedia oriented player is interesting but too expensive.

Leaning more and more to IRiver... I read another user comment somewhere that the latest firmware upgrade fixed most of the major outstanding issues. Their site does not give a date on the release, so I can't tell if this came out before or after people reported issues/shortcomings (mostly very minor). Anybody know if this now supports true randomplay and gapless firsthand? Heck, I'll probably just go ahead and get it. 40 gigs, line out, fm player, good sound, optical, recording, small package, easiest connection to other computers you can have... and did I say small package?

Jul 14, 2004 at 9:46 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke
Yeah, I've got a 40 gig JB3, and let me assure you, 40 gigs at 192 compression will hold one helluva lot of music. I've had mine over two years and I still have over 6 gigs of free space. I figured it out once -- I think I can play it 24/7 for 3 weeks and never hear the same track twice. Something like that.

Heh, I just got mine and installed the 80 GB drive. I am only half way through ripping my CDs with preset extreme and already it's over a third full. By the time I get done with my colleciton I'll be down to a paltry 20 GB or so of free space... Time to buy more music!
tongue.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 3:56 AM Post #14 of 15
Yeah, that's all I need - to be tempted by a nice five or sixhundred dollar dap.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 15, 2004 at 4:19 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

A friend had an Archos Jukebox 20 (something like that) and the thing frequently paused the music momentarily (building buffer?). This happened on about every other song. Then, the battery just died one day. He was never able to charge it again. Also, no shuffling across directories... Their multimedia oriented player is interesting but too expensive.

Hmmm....no such negative experiences here...

I've been very tempted to get an ihp-140. The only reason I've been put off is because of sporadic reports I've seen on "soft" or slightly subpar sound quality....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back