Any HagUSB Owners/Users?
Feb 5, 2007 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

xenithon

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all. I posted a similar question in the Computer Audio forum, but just wanted to check here if anyone out there owns/uses a HagTech HagUSB. I currently have an Edirol UA-1EX, but that may be going to another PC. I am debating whether to go for the HagUSB or an alternative USB interface, such as the M-Audio Audiophile.

The only thing of slight concern is that it does not have ASIO drivers but uses ASIO4ALL. I believe that still uses the OS (Windows XP) audio stack somewhere - does that make it more prone to pops and clicks than a true ASIO device?

Cheers,
X

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:00 PM Post #2 of 14
The only advantage in the USB Audiophile is anything greater than 48 kHz is not going to work with the HagUSB. Otherwise, the HagUSB is my choice. Note my sig..below. I got my USB Audiophile for 131 shipped from Sam Ash off of Amazon.com. Check the link out on this site for site supporting this site via amazon purchases.

Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all. I posted a similar question in the Computer Audio forum, but just wanted to check here if anyone out there owns/uses a HagTech HagUSB. I currently have an Edirol UA-1EX, but that may be going to another PC. I am debating whether to go for the HagUSB or an alternative USB interface, such as the M-Audio Audiophile.

The only thing of slight concern is that it does not have ASIO drivers but uses ASIO4ALL. I believe that still uses the OS (Windows XP) audio stack somewhere - does that make it more prone to pops and clicks than a true ASIO device?

Cheers,
X

Feb 5, 2007 at 7:56 PM Post #3 of 14
Hi and much appreciated for the answer. I will be feeding a Musiland MD10 oversampling DAC so would not need to feed any more than 48kHz. As it is with my Edirol (which does up to 96) I use it either as standard 44.1 or 48kHz max with my FLAC library. Any more and the sound changes for the worse, at at least to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

So you say you haven't have issues with pops/clicks using ASIO4ALL?

Cheers
X

Feb 5, 2007 at 8:07 PM Post #4 of 14
My last computer, an old, did have some issues but everything USB related on it had issues. My new computer has a much better USB training so far.

Quote:

Hi and much appreciated for the answer. I will be feeding a Musiland MD10 oversampling DAC so would not need to feed any more than 48kHz. As it is with my Edirol (which does up to 96) I use it either as standard 44.1 or 48kHz max with my FLAC library. Any more and the sound changes for the worse, at at least to my ears
smily_headphones1.gif

So you say you haven't have issues with pops/clicks using ASIO4ALL?

Cheers
X

Feb 6, 2007 at 4:09 AM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

HagUSB does not comes with ASIO drivers, but you can purchase them separately at USB-Audio.com. These are pro-audio drivers with very low-latency (unlike generic Windows drivers). Works great with my HagUSB setup.

Its quite fascinating how so many manufacturers design USB converters and even "high-end" DACs, but only use handicapped generic windows usb drivers.

May 20, 2007 at 10:45 PM Post #6 of 14
Note that the HagUSB has a XLR version now.

May 20, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by gevorg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HagUSB does not comes with ASIO drivers, but you can purchase them separately at USB-Audio.com. These are pro-audio drivers with very low-latency (unlike generic Windows drivers). Works great with my HagUSB setup.

Its quite fascinating how so many manufacturers design USB converters and even "high-end" DACs, but only use handicapped generic windows usb drivers.

This was very true, however this situation has flip-flopped with the advent of the so-called "driverless" firmware. It is a firmware that tricks the Windows OS into using only the lowest level Windows kernel for audio streaming, bypassing KMIXER. This firmware creates the lowest possible latency, so pops and ticks are history. It also outputs not only a bit-perfect stream at 16/44.1, but changes to 24/96 on-the-fly without needing a custom Windows driver. I have noticed that it also has much lower jitter than using a custom driver. It is essentially plug-and-play.

For devices that do not use "firmware", the USB-Audio driver is probably the best choice. I believe you still need a method to bypass Kmixer. Have you tried this rather than ASIO or KS?
http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/i...?topic=40068.0

Steve N.

May 21, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This was very true, however this situation has flip-flopped with the advent of the so-called "driverless" firmware. It is a firmware that tricks the Windows OS into using only the lowest level Windows kernel for audio streaming, bypassing KMIXER. There are only two companies that have licensed this to my knowledge, Benchmark Media and Empirical Audio. This firmware creates the lowest possible latency, so pops and ticks are history. It also outputs not only a bit-perfect stream at 16/44.1, but changes to 24/96 on-the-fly without needing a custom Windows driver. I have noticed that it also has much lower jitter than using a custom driver. It is essentially plug-and-play.

Steve N.

Steve

I find it troubling that you had to jump into this thread after over three months of no activity once I simply mentioned the new offering by Hagtech.

I do find this very interesting indeed.

You must find the Hagusb very much a challenge to your position in the industry. So I take it that you think the Hagusb device to be a real thread to you especially with this new interface.

Let me make a suggestion that you become a sponsor to Head-Fi.org so that you can communicate the new developments that you make and provide us with your research in your own sponsored threads similar to how other manufactures do as shown above and on the right in several links.

May 21, 2007 at 1:17 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Steve

I find it troubling that you had to jump into this thread after over three months of no activity once I simply mentioned the new offering by Hagtech.

I do find this very interesting indeed.

You must find the Hagusb very much a challenge to your position in the industry. So I take it that you think the Hagusb device to be a real thread to you especially with this new interface.

Let me make a suggestion that you become a sponsor to Head-Fi.org so that you can communicate the new developments that you make and provide us with your research in your own sponsored threads similar to how other manufactures do as shown above and on the right in several links.

Not at all. I just didn't notice the thread until you posted to it. In fact, Jim Hagerman and I have been talking about this firmware and possible collaborations. My post has nothing to do with his product. We sell at different price-points. It was only a response to the poster that was complaining about the Windows drivers. His post is relevant to the old technology, but I wanted to update him on the latest developments. Most audiophiles do not realize what a breakthrough this is. I believe it could catapult computer audio into the mainstream.

Steve N.

May 21, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Not at all. I just didn't notice the thread until you posted to it. In fact, Jim Hagerman and I have been talking about this firmware and possible collaborations. My post has nothing to do with his product. It was only a response to the poster that was complaining about the Windows drivers. His post is relevant to the old technology, but I wanted to update him on the latest developments. Most audiophiles do not realize what a breakthrough this is. I believe it could catapult computer audio into the mainstream.

Steve N.

Please do become a sponsor of Head-Fi though, I do appreciate the developments that you have been working on. Is Jim about to introduce a new Hag device with this firmware?

May 21, 2007 at 6:13 AM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by slwiser /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Please do become a sponsor of Head-Fi though, I do appreciate the developments that you have been working on. Is Jim about to introduce a new Hag device with this firmware?

I cannot comment on Jim's product plans.

Steve N.

Aug 27, 2007 at 10:42 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

but changes to 24/96 on-the-fly without needing a custom Windows driver.

Hi Steve,

When you said that it will convert to 24/96 on the fly, does this require any additional software, or there is a switch in your freeway 2 to do this?

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:04 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlingo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Steve,

When you said that it will convert to 24/96 on the fly, does this require any additional software, or there is a switch in your freeway 2 to do this?

No switch. You just change the sample rate of the source file by selecting a hi-res file or upsampling it on the PC and it just works. Nothing to switch or select.

Steve N.

Aug 28, 2007 at 1:12 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

No switch. You just change the sample rate of the source file by selecting a hi-res file or upsampling it on the PC and it just works. Nothing to switch or select.

Steve N.

Currently I am using audigy NX and they come wiah a software to upsample SPDIF out to 24/96.

I have no other experience without using the Audigy, therefore not familiar with the procedure.

Thanks Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back