Any Guitarists use the Line6 POD / Headphones
Sep 29, 2006 at 3:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

shawntp

100+ Head-Fier
Hey - Know there exists a large number of guitarsts on this forum. Any of you use the Line6 POD / POD XT with headphones and have any comments?

I used to own a regular pod like 3-4 years ago and unloaded it, swore off digital effects, and picked up a Mesa Lonestar Special amp.

I wasnt as much into headphones back than and recently listened to a friends POD XT and was like ....geeze - this thing is kinda cooler than the older ones that looked the same.

Sep 29, 2006 at 3:18 PM Post #2 of 7
I use a Line 6 POD (oldschool one) with closed headphones (BeyerDynamic DT250-80). It is a great sounding setup. The trick with the POD IMHO is that they are not suited for using them along with a Guitar amp. They don't sound good in that configuration. The PODs sound their best when used through a set of headphones, or when it is used as an interface between the guitarist and then directly into a sound board or input to a PC Multitrack Digital recording Workstation. In those configurations is when the POD really shines.

For guitar amplification, I would pick a 'real' tube amp over an effects processor every time.

Sep 29, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #3 of 7
Yeah - I always thought it sounded bad through an amp also. Its sorta hard because it mixes gain based and time based effects so there is no perfect place to put it in your amp rig (where you want gain based out front going direct into the amp and time based in the effects loop circuit). I think they have a top of the line rack unit with more in out options.

I used to listen on a pair of Senn HD590's which were ok but I really started to get into open mic recording and the sound of tubes.

Since I have gottem more into headphones and the POD is better and cheaper I am thinking of picking one up.

Sep 29, 2006 at 3:57 PM Post #4 of 7
i used to have a ZOOM Palmtop Studio. It was beast to learn all those tiny functions - not very user friendly. I eventually gave up and just plugged my axe into a 30 watt VOX amp for a KISS moment - and no, not the 70's Rock Band either
evil_smiley.gif

Sep 30, 2006 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 7
pods and other digital modellers can sound good through an amp... if you bypass the preamp (rackmount poweramp, pluggin into the FX return on a head or combo with an FX loop...) also with such a setup it would be best to turn cab/mic modelling off

Sep 30, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #6 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by necropimp
pods and other digital modellers can sound good through an amp... if you bypass the preamp (rackmount poweramp, pluggin into the FX return on a head or combo with an FX loop...) also with such a setup it would be best to turn cab/mic modelling off

agree.

I was using a POD through a small korean marshall... MG30, something or other. It had line input. My drummer at the time was using a digital kit through a roland keyboard amp. I got tired of lugging my carvin tube amp around, only to use 5% of its output. So the POD + marshall combo was my small-gig rig. Sounded best bypassing the horrid sounding preamp. It was SUCH a versatile little rig, with the pedalboard... covered a LOT of different sounds.

Marshall made that korean mini-stack a few years ago, that thing sings with the POD IMHO.

I dont play out anymore but still use the Line6 modeler with my RS1. I have also messed around with korg pandora and those little tihngs pack a LOT of sound and punch for the $$$.

Garrett

Sep 30, 2006 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 7
This may be sorta wierd but sometimes I really enjoy putting mic's on my tube cab and then monitoring through headphones. Makes me feel like I am filling up a stadium.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back