Any guitarists on head-fi using the Palmer PDI-03?
May 15, 2008 at 7:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

nor_spoon

Headphoneus Supremus
Just bought a Palmer PDI-03 re-issue. I am going to use it with my 100W Mesa Trem-O-Verb 2x12 combo, so I am able to crank it up, making it sing (hopefully
wink.gif
) Not much use of a 100W tube amp for "bedroom use", so I think this will come in handy.

Does anybody on headfi have experience with this thing?

May 16, 2008 at 6:33 AM Post #2 of 11
[size=xx-small]Is there[/size] [size=x-small]anybody[/size] [size=small]out[/size] there?

May 16, 2008 at 7:04 AM Post #3 of 11
Never used one, sorry; however, now I'm considering the idea of getting something like this. I have yet to try pulling two of the power tubes from my Twin 100W, though I don't think the difference from doing that will be as big as something like this.

May 16, 2008 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by PYROphonez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Never used one, sorry; however, now I'm considering the idea of getting something like this. I have yet to try pulling two of the power tubes from my Twin 100W, though I don't think the difference from doing that will be as big as something like this.

Hi PYROphonez,
I would definetely check wether or not you actually can pull out half the tubes on your amp before doing it. I think you could do serious damage to it if it is not built to handle it. The power tubes on my mesa sits in spesific orders, and I had to make sure to take out the right tubes (2x couple) not to damage the amp. Also removed one of the rectifier tubes. Anyway, my amp was still way too loud, so don't expect drastic changes from taking out half of your tubes.

The Palmer PDI-03 is a combined speaker simulator/load box, so you can actually crank your amp to max, bypass the speakers of your guitar amp, and go direct from the Palmer into whatever you choose for listening/recording etc. Very nifty!

May 16, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #5 of 11
May 16, 2008 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 11
Thanks Jahn. Yes, I have seen that. I always do a lot of research, and some would say too much of that, before getting any gear
smily_headphones1.gif

Thought it would be fun to hear if someone here is using one through a good headphone system.

I have a POD, but it cannot compare at all when it comes to the sound and feeling of a good tube amp. Not even a comparison.

Can't wait to hear what my amp sounds like when the tubes are really pushed.

May 16, 2008 at 6:11 PM Post #7 of 11
Oh my...

May 17, 2008 at 1:04 AM Post #8 of 11
I'm guessing it's a bit better than the amp modelling from a Pod? Muahahaha!

May 17, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by nor_spoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi PYROphonez,
I would definetely check wether or not you actually can pull out half the tubes on your amp before doing it. I think you could do serious damage to it if it is not built to handle it. The power tubes on my mesa sits in spesific orders, and I had to make sure to take out the right tubes (2x couple) not to damage the amp. Also removed one of the rectifier tubes. Anyway, my amp was still way too loud, so don't expect drastic changes from taking out half of your tubes.

The Palmer PDI-03 is a combined speaker simulator/load box, so you can actually crank your amp to max, bypass the speakers of your guitar amp, and go direct from the Palmer into whatever you choose for listening/recording etc. Very nifty!

Yes, I know for a fact that I can pull two, as long as its one from each set. Thanks for watching out though.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 27, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 11
Just wanted to add to those interested, that this is an amazing piece of equipment! If you have a tube amp that you are unable to play at volumes to open up the amp, this is a well worth investment! I have owned my amp for 14 years, but just a few times really heard it how it is meant to sound, with the tubes being driven hard. It is just too darn loud. Now I can have it every time I play, in my cans. Nice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back