Any good usb DAC for grados? (around 100 - 150$)
May 31, 2013 at 12:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

EkChuah97

New Head-Fier
Well first of all would it be worth it? i would be using it with a desktop mac and my alessandro ms1i. i've heard about the qinpu q2, little dot, Odac. And even though i've spent hours trying to read about amps and DAC's it's not the same as listening to them. So i would appreciate if someone could give me some beginner advice on this.

i have another question. i hear people saying that rocoo P and those players have a really good SQ. So how would a desktop DAC compare to a portable player? 

Jun 1, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #5 of 6
No. The DAC converts digital to analog coming from the computer. The amp amplifies the analog signal. So it has to come after the DAC in the audio chain as a separate unit, or you need a combined DAC/amplifier unit. So for an example, an ODAC or Modi would be a good DAC to pair with a Little Dot I+, Magni, or O2 amplifier. Or if you want a simpler combined unit with both DAC and amp, you could look at the FiiO E17 or Audioengine D1.

Jun 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
no, but can't the computer take care of the amping? sorry for the ignorance but i can't find amp/DAC buying guide, like there is for headphones. 

Check out the AudioQuest DragonFly, I think it will do what you are looking for.  I love mine! (eh, sorry, completely missed the budget part!)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back