any good reason to NOT use airport express?
Jun 28, 2007 at 12:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

ccotenj

Head-Fier
is there any good reason(s) to NOT use airport express?

i'm an itunes user... i already have a wireless network...

i have a couple thousand cd's, and i really like the idea of using pc as source so that i could store these away somewhere... it appears as if using airport express is a real KISS method of doing this...

ideas? comments?

thanks.

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #2 of 19
I'm sure someone will say something about jitter, however if this isn't a concern to you then there's nothing wrong with AirPort Express (AFAIK). One of the benefits of this little guy is that it has an optical output, so you can stream music in a digital format and use an external DAC at your listening end to ensure a high quality sound.

Jun 28, 2007 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 19
yea, i'm reading conflicting opinions all over the place on jitter... i believe i'm in the "unconcerned" group right now... worst possible case is that it really is a problem, and then i fleabay it...

i'd use it as a digital feed into my anthem avm-30...

i do have a bit of a secondary motive here, in that i'd like to sell my existing cd/dvd source (pio elite dv59) to partially finance a blu-ray/hd-dvd player...

Jun 28, 2007 at 2:38 AM Post #5 of 19
As long as you run the Airport Express digitally into a DAC with reclocking, it is an awesome solution. I use it with better results than a CD transport with my Apogee DAC.

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:39 AM Post #7 of 19
Stereophile reviewed the airport express. The measurements showed that the analog outputs were not very high quality.

Digital outputs were more acceptable. Feed the digital output into a DAC that is insensitive to jitter and you would have a quite high quality solution. My opinion.

Bill

Jun 28, 2007 at 4:49 AM Post #8 of 19
Moreover, there's a program called airfoil that allows you to stream ALL your audio to the airport, not just the audio from itunes. This is really an excellent, easy to use program and it enables you to stream internet radio, last.fm, and tons of other stuff.

the analog outs, however, really aren't that good. If you have a dac (any dac) get an optical cable with a mini adapter and use it that way. It's really a decent digital source at that point.

My only gripe with mine, and I've owned it for about 6 months, is that I need to have a computer running somewhere to use it. Either I have to get up to change songs, or I have to listen to my laptop's fan and change songs from my seat. I really wish I could take the computer out of the equation, like with a Sonos.

Jun 30, 2007 at 5:55 AM Post #9 of 19
I use an AE with my Pass Labs D1 reclocking DAC. Compared to any of my high-end transports, it is not quite the same level but is extremely acceptable for non-critical listening! I am very, VERY happy with the AE, it kicks butt. I have not tried it with my secondary (non-reclocking) DAC.

Jun 30, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #10 of 19
You can't go wrong with an AirPort Express.
I bought one when they were announced three years ago, and have loved it all the time. So much that I ordered an additional one last year, which I use to power the external DAC in my headphone rig.

I simply love this small box!
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 1:29 PM Post #11 of 19
it's here, it's installed, and it works great...
biggrin.gif

frankly, i have far from golden ears (i'm old, and tortured them severely in my yute), but i can't notice any difference in sq between using this or my existing transport... also did some brief comparisons between alac and 192vbr aac, and (consistent with my abx results in the past) hear no difference... it remains to be seen what my better half thinks on that, she DOES have golden ears...

as long as i have it, i figured i'd use it as a wireless router and print server too... everything was real easy to install...

color me happy...
biggrin.gif

Jun 30, 2007 at 2:02 PM Post #12 of 19
This sounds like exactly what I'm looking for, but I have a few questions to be sure.

My PC with all the music files is in my office and I have a wireless network up and running already with WPA-Personal enabled (Linksys router/switch). I want to put an old receiver in the kitchen and stream music to it.

Will the AE work without a computer connected to it or do I need a PC to set it up initially? I assume so since I would have to set up the wireless encryption key somehow. And I assume I could incorporate the AE into my existing network, encryption and all? The specs say so, but there could be a hundred gotchas about that.

I'm also a bit confused as to what connections I would need to make. I have a Micro DAC to use for better sound, so would a mini-mini cable handle the digital signal out of the AE to the Micro DAC?

Then once I get it set up this way, would Airfoil still work, probably using WinAmp to handle the broadcast?

Thanks for any experience you can offer. I may just order one and try it, because the price can't be beat.

EDIT: oops, it's $99, not $39. The Connection Kit is $39. I can read, honest.

Oh, and it looks like you can also get a remote control for it, but I bet it only works with iTunes.

Jun 30, 2007 at 2:22 PM Post #13 of 19
lessee...

1) the install process allows you to join your existing network wirelessly and configure the unit... yes, you can use wpa encryption... the only reason i used it as a "new" network is because my existing wireless router has been getting flaky so this was a good excuse to can it... and as long as i had a spare shelf on my stereo racks, it was easy enough to stuff the printer over there too...

2) it's a mini to toslink connection to the dac... i'm not familiar with the micro dac, so i don't know if it has a toslink in or not...

3) i haven't tried airfoil yet (maybe today), but someone else posted that it works...

btw, they are 89 are bestbuy right now...
smily_headphones1.gif
you just need to ask them to match their web price...

another btw, i couldn't find the mini to toslink anywhere other than the apple store (which gave me a chance yesterday to see a LONG line out front waiting for the iphone)... ratshack ain't what it used to be, that's for sure...
frown.gif
i went to 3 different ones, and none of the guys even knew what i was talking about, let alone had one... i would imagine you could get one online somewhere cheaper, but i needed it right away...

hope that helps...

Jun 30, 2007 at 2:54 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccotenj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hope that helps...

Yes it does, thanks very much.

The Micro DAC takes either optical or coax digital via a mini plug, and I have a toslink-to-optical-mini adaptor, so with all those choices surely I can make something work.
tongue.gif

Thanks again.

Jun 30, 2007 at 3:08 PM Post #15 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by ccotenj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is there any good reason(s) to NOT use airport express?

The only reason not to recommend an APX / AirTunes is when the local wireless network is 11b. It might work if there is no internet connection and no other computers on the network, but the only way to be sure AirTunes is constantly enjoyable without dropouts is a 11g network (or higher). This also means you want no "legacy" 11b devices on your network (old laptops, PDAs...) since their presence will force 11g into 11b.

Otherwise, AirTunes is bliss (Once Keyspan can finally get themselves to release their TuneView USB it will get even more convenient). Analog quality is quite okay for background music, yet for "our" needs here, hooking up the DAC of your choice via optical is pretty much a given.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back