any good rap/hip-hop recommendations?
Oct 31, 2002 at 4:57 AM Post #32 of 35
ok, this is what i eventually got:

Mos Def "Black On Both Sides"
Black Star
the new Jurassic 5 album
Lyricist Lounge 2
NWA "Niggaz4life + 100 Miles & Running" reissue

... might get the Dilated Peoples and Freestyle Fellowship cds tomorrow if my wallet allows
biggrin.gif

thanks again for all the recommendations; i am totally digging the new sounds coming from my headphones.

p.s. what do you guys think about MOP and Brand Nubian?

Oct 31, 2002 at 7:29 AM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally posted by kin3tix
check out artists from the "definitive jux" label

Agreed. There is some good stuff on DefJux (Definative Juxtapositions I think?). I really like "The Cold Vein" by Cannibal Ox. From memory DefJux has a good compilation CD which might be the best place to start.
http://www.definitivejux.net/

Another label to have a look at is Wordsound, although keep in mind there is a bunch of illbient stuff released through there. Last time I checked, their website had some samples for download.
http://www.wordsound.com/

Finally, one artist I have been trying to track down is Dalek. He had an album out a few years ago called "Negro Necro Nekros" on the Gern Blanston label. The reviews I have seen for this have all sung its praises.

Oct 31, 2002 at 8:49 AM Post #34 of 35
hope u enjoy the j5 eastsidemetalhd, you got "power in numbers" right? been listening to it lately, awesome stuff. their production has improved over quality control, which was really great. also, forgot to reccommend that you could also check out the Rhymesayers Entertainment label. very good talent on that label. a few artists to mention from RSE: Atmosphere (composed of Slug [emcee], and Mr.Dibbs [dj and production]), and also Eyedea.

Oct 31, 2002 at 10:12 AM Post #35 of 35
Good rap/hip hop? Sure there is! Just look beneath the (very superficial) surface!

Here's some artists/groups that I think are worthy of mentioning, some with recommended albums. Yeh, some have been mentioned already before:

Blackalicious - "Blazing Arrow"

Digable Planets - "Reachin' - A New Refutation of Time and Space"

Roots Manuva

The Avalanches - (awesome and non-conventional)

The Streets

Black Eyed Peas - "Bringing it Back"

Michael Franti/Spearhead - "Stay Human" (... well actually any damn album this guy puts out... but ESPECIALLY "Stay Human")

Users who are viewing this thread

Back