any good portable dac/amp for D5000?
Oct 28, 2009 at 3:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

superjohny

500+ Head-Fier
hi,everyone,just recently got a d5000 second after feeling my D1001 is enjoyable.

i am looking for a portable dac/amp that will sound great with D5000.Any suggestions?

Primarily I use this with desktop but occasionally I will also be using with Macbook 13 in another place.

ATM, i am looking at D4 Mamba since it has dual DAC, anyone had any thoughts on this combo?

but i am willing to spend up to USD400 for the rig(either new or secondhand if i can get one) if there's big improvement over D4 and size is not a big problem as long as it is portable in a schoolbag or similar size,or even a travel/sports bag.

I listen to classical music a lot and also pops (mostly jap anime songs)

Thanks guys!

oh, btw, I am thinking possible Markl moding the D5000 but if i am happy with the unmoded bass, which i might do(i am not sure since i haven't heard D5000 yet), then I'll probably leave it as unmoded.

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #2 of 4
THis is a little out of your price range new, but you could get a Pico DAC/Amp. The D2000 had awesome synergy with my Pico, if I ever go back to fullsize, I may consider going Denon again. FYI the D5000 is almost the same as the D2000, so I think there is a good chance that the Pico will be your cup of tea. It controlled the bass much more than the D2 Boa, and the DAC in the Pico is absolutely breathtaking. I owned the D10 USB to the Pico USB at the same time, and there was no question in my mind which was better. I still own my Pico, the D10 is gone to another home.

Oct 29, 2009 at 9:38 AM Post #4 of 4
i have the D10, and it sounds excellent with the D2000s, they sound 'ok' with the stock opamps (or any of the opamps that came with the D10) you simply have to try the D10 with opamps Hiflight provides cheaply... they just sound much better... it's comparable to my Corda Aria with a smaller soundstage and a bit brighter(you try other opamps to 'fix' the brightness, i personally like it) makes sense to go for a D10 since you have optical out on macbooks(i think with most models), it's cheaper, and you can tune it to your liking...
i personally find 2 slightly different sound with USB and optical... optical sounds more 'solid' to my ears...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back