Any good (musical) keboards for around $300?
Dec 22, 2005 at 1:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

sumone

100+ Head-Fier
My mom's a music teacher & just has a small, generic RadioShack, 61-key (I think) electric keyboard. She commonly complains about there not being enough keys to play pieces that utilize the whole range of the piano. So, my brother and I are putting our money together to buy her a full-sized keyboard. Any recommendations? If you recommend a store, non-internet please.

Thanks.

Dec 22, 2005 at 9:26 PM Post #4 of 7
Ahh, I need to keep in mind whenever I post my budget on this forum, it needs to be $100 less than what it actually is! Seriously I can't spend more than $200 & my brother can't spend more than $100.

Dec 23, 2005 at 6:49 AM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumone
Ahh, I need to keep in mind whenever I post my budget on this forum, it needs to be $100 less than what it actually is! Seriously I can't spend more than $200 & my brother can't spend more than $100.

Screw it; we're just going to pay our rent late (me & my brother live together) & we're gathering things to pawn in.

So, we got the PX-100 from Best Buy for $473.99 ($516 w/tax). I don't know if it was just the one on display or not, but hitting a key really hard seemed to make the sound cut out a few milliseconds after the note starts playing, & then the sound continues. I thought it's maybe cause the AC adapter wasn't the right one (as I couldn't verify it) for the keyboard meaning it couldn't supply enough power for the attack of the note.

Now we need a stand. rsaavedra I saw your pic of your keyboard & wooden stand, but why didn't you like X stands? Was the keyboard too big? Or was it a stability issue? We're already $200 overbudget so nothing expensive.

Dec 23, 2005 at 11:37 AM Post #6 of 7
Yes it was a stability issue. The wooden base was firmer than the X. With the X you could make the keyboard move backward and forward a bit when hitting some of the notes at the extremes, only that. But the X base should work fine anyway. The wooden base costs $100, the X is much less but not sure how much. Also probably you can get some other X, maybe used, but for a new one I bet the Casio has a very low price to match. Congrats on your purchase!

Dec 23, 2005 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 7
I wrapped electrical 'grip' tape around the top tubes of the X-stand that came with my PX-300, and the keyboard does not move forward or backwards when playing loudly.

Using Blu-tack or re-usable putty on the bottom of the damper pedal/floor works well in my experience, as well. Although the action of the pedal that comes with the PX-300 is not very good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back