Any good looking transports that are not $8000?
Mar 26, 2004 at 2:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

philodox

Headphoneus Supremus
I think I will be sticking with my NEC CDR for quite a while, but thought I would open up this discussion to see if anyone has any suggestions... plus its a good place to post nice pics of transports.

I plan on using some sort of DAC, either the DIO [which I have] or the AOS DAC for as far as I can see down my ugrade path right now
biggrin.gif

I have seen the Oracle turntables mentioned here before and LOVE their look, but the CD 2000 is $8000 and the CD1000 is $3000... does anyone know of any similarly stylish transports that arent so expensive?

In case you havent seen them, here is links to the CD2000 and the CD1000.

Mar 26, 2004 at 3:26 AM Post #2 of 7
Most of the design is probably just eye-candy. Other transports can get the job done with a nice clean casing. This, of course, would reduce the cost. As for a "nice looking" transport, Bluenote makes all kinda of cool stuff. Though, I doubt their stuff sounds any better than stuff by Wadia or Krell. I heard that the Shigaraki transport sounds pretty sweet. You should probably ask eric343 about that one. If you want a super-cheap transport, go ahead an buy a Sony ES-series player or mod a Pioneer DVD player.

edit: DAC upgrades should ALWAYS come before transport upgrades IMO. If you want a really good DAC, try something like the dCs Elgar.

Mar 26, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #3 of 7
I often read that particular CD players have a "proven Philips or Sony transport" such as my Arcam. I've taken this to mean the transport is of true transport quality for use with a DAC. Unlike a lesser reliable CDP?

Mar 26, 2004 at 4:09 AM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally posted by eyeteeth
I often read that particular CD players have a "proven Philips or Sony transport" such as my Arcam. I've taken this to mean the transport is of true transport quality for use with a DAC. Unlike a lesser reliable CDP?

Well not exactly. It just means they sourced the part from Sony or Phillips, just like most other cd player manufacturers.

There are only a few companies that actually manufacturer transports and even less that will manafacturer transports for other companies.

Mar 26, 2004 at 4:55 AM Post #5 of 7
Unfortunately, I have never heard the NEC, but I am very happy with my ModWright Pioneer transport. You can find used players starting around $100 and then even with all the mods possible, you are well under $1K - probably around $600-$800 after shipping and everything. I suppose that it will always look like a Pioneer DVD player, however.

Mar 26, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 7
The Phillips SACD 1000 can be had for about $600. Add the transport mods to it for another $600 and you have a machine that the folks at Meitner use for their $10,000+ DAC that is so incredible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back