Any good home headphones for a 100$ budget?
Nov 27, 2014 at 12:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Heat1

New Head-Fier
OK so currently i am portable headphone user that has only used IEM's. I mostly listen to my Aurisonics ASG 2 but i also listen to my weston 4, 3umx and klipsch x11i  sometimes. The prices of these range from 300$ to 500$ when i bought them so I'm wondering if a full size open back headphone for 100$ will sound decent compared to buds like those or if it will be dull and muted? Beyond that though in term's of music i listen to i run the full spectrum although i am slightly more partial to rock such as led zeppelin and radio head. What im looking for in a phone would have to be the mids bass and treble can be a bit recessed in comparison but i really would like the mids to be the best part of the phone.

In terms of equiment i would be driving them straight from my desktop, although i do have a fiio x11 with a LOD i could use if necessary. Also leakage and and seal are not an issue but i would like something that is at least semi comfortable. With that being said any recommendations or insight would be greatly appreciated I am quite a noob at home audio so if i am expecting too much out of a 100$ budget just say so. Anyway thanks for reading in advance.

Nov 27, 2014 at 2:05 AM Post #3 of 10
So - you want to know if a $100 full-size headphone can sound as good as a $400 IEM? In general - no, probably not. If you pick specific attributes to judge them, then maybe. For example, if you are a basshead, then it's probably possible to get $100 full-size headphones that have greater total bass quantity than the Westone W4.

Nov 27, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #6 of 10
  Open, good mids for rock, under $100. Probably something like the Grado SR80e (more forward mids) or AKG K240 Studio (more neutral mids).

I'm not a huge fan of the AKG's...very uncomfortable for me and a bit underwhelming.  The Grado's are a solid choice.  Can't go wrong with them and the price is reasonable.

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:26 AM Post #7 of 10
I'm not a huge fan of the AKG's...very uncomfortable for me and a bit underwhelming.  The Grado's are a solid choice.  Can't go wrong with them and the price is reasonable.
That's fair. The MK II with the velours isn't bad on comfort though. They aren't supposed to be overwhelming, just reasonable accurate. There's also the 558 for a mid forward sound as someone else mentioned.

Nov 27, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #8 of 10
so if the MK II is good what do u think about the AKG K272HD? i can get it for around 120$ same for the Beyerdynamic DT770 Premium 250ohm. also im going to demo the grado 80e today and i live in Canada so the sen 558 is a little too expensive where i live.

Nov 27, 2014 at 9:29 AM Post #9 of 10
so if the MK II is good what do u think about the AKG K272HD? i can get it for around 120$ same for the Beyerdynamic DT770 Premium 250ohm. also im going to demo the grado 80e today and i live in Canada so the sen 558 is a little too expensive where i live.
I would get the 271 MK II if you're going to go that route. I just got that can and the replaceable cable and two sets of ear pads and cables are worth getting that over the 272. The sound is quite flat overall but has a boxy hint to the sound and recessed upper mids. Really good for rock and metal if you DON'T want guitars to be too up in your face. The 240 MK II is probably the better choice as a result but only if you aren't a big basshead. The mids are quite good and accurate and forward enough for enjoyment at the same time. The DT770 is a very V shaped can with a big bass boost and treble boost so the mids take a distinct back seat. If you want more forward and fun mids the Grado is what you want. The other cans I was just listing either have flat or recessed mids and are non fatiguing whereas the Grado is more exciting.

Nov 28, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #10 of 10
I would get the 271 MK II if you're going to go that route. I just got that can and the replaceable cable and two sets of ear pads and cables are worth getting that over the 272. The sound is quite flat overall but has a boxy hint to the sound and recessed upper mids. Really good for rock and metal if you DON'T want guitars to be too up in your face. The 240 MK II is probably the better choice as a result but only if you aren't a big basshead. The mids are quite good and accurate and forward enough for enjoyment at the same time. The DT770 is a very V shaped can with a big bass boost and treble boost so the mids take a distinct back seat. If you want more forward and fun mids the Grado is what you want. The other cans I was just listing either have flat or recessed mids and are non fatiguing whereas the Grado is more exciting.

Thanks alot for the thoughts i greatly appreciate it, although in the end after demoing all the options (thank god for headfoneshop) i ended picking a pair of senheiser HD 598's for 100$ and cause of the rather lackluster low end i managed to get a near mint condition used DT770 for 50$ for if I ever feel like i just need a little more bite to a song. So yeah I think it went well but again thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back