Any good headphones to reproduce the effect of a subwoofer?
Apr 2, 2003 at 10:42 PM Post #31 of 47
this is probably soooo not the place but for the gamers that are not ready to spend as much money as most people on here mention about a great pair of headphones I guess there's this:
AOpen HP-590 Music & Gaming Headphones with Vibration Bass

They're cheap so I don't expect AMAZING sound but hopefully it's something decent ... I might get a pair out of curiousity if I don't get a chance to listen to them at some near-by computer store soon.

Was writing from college again so time to go to class, good luck in your sub-woofer-like search, I still think many of the people in here will use "The Force(tm)"
very_evil_smiley.gif
to convince you that you NEED the DT770s but we'll see
biggrin.gif

Nick out.

Apr 3, 2003 at 1:16 AM Post #32 of 47
IF u still want the DT770s and a good amp, try the CMOY.

Its a build it yourself amp, but you can manage its not hard.

try out Tangent's tutorial site

http://www.tangentsoft.net/audio/

look at the cmoy, and be sure to read in tweaks, he recommends bigger caps which will improve bass. A nice match for a 2 9V variant.

I plan on building another CMOY soon with these bigger caps, i have one priced around $35.

Apr 3, 2003 at 1:29 AM Post #33 of 47
I'd love to build my own stuff. Building amps sound like a very interesting and fun hobby. The only problem is that there's absolutely no room in my small townhouse to do that. The only place in here that I have any kind of freedom is my own very small bedroom, and it's already full of junk.
frown.gif

As an alternative, I think maybe I'll get someone to build it for me and then I can pay for it if the final price gets me something really good at a price better than a commercial product.

I don't mean to sound lazy, but I just don't have the room to do anything.

Apr 3, 2003 at 2:41 PM Post #34 of 47
I just finished wiring my CMOY last nite...I used 330e-6 F caps...which are one step up from what was originally specced for the CMOY. But its only a single 9V because I wanted to keep it small...running into a bit of a noise problem on the LED branch though...

I might just snip it off...cuz I'd rather save the juice for music...
smily_headphones1.gif

Anyhow...its only taken me 3 evenings...(only cuz I had to go out and buy a multimeter) now I need to mount everything to the case...

Drag:
you dont need a lot of space...just a small table and one AC outlet (for your Iron)...I got all the parts and tools from Digikey or Radio Shack...
Do you have a desk in your room? if its enough for a coupla text books and a keyboard its enough to make a CMOY...

cheers!

Apr 4, 2003 at 12:32 AM Post #38 of 47
If you want to spend over 350 on them, I suggest you the MDR-CD3000, IMO it blows away all what I have heard to the date in bass extension, (an in other departments too, but you are asking mainly about the bass) including the DT770, HD600, V6, 7509, etc....

Apr 4, 2003 at 1:45 AM Post #39 of 47
Dwagun,

Thanks for the encouragement. Unfortunately, I only have enough space on my desk just for the keyboard. Even if I moved my keyboard away, I really do not wish to be soldering in front of my big 19" monitor, especially since I have no experience in this. And no, I don't have space for textbooks (I usually just move the keyboard away to make space for them).

Anyway, how good is my portable amp Total Airhead at driving the CD3000s? I'm thinking that if my TA can drive it well, I'll just wait a bit longer to save more money so that I can get those better pair of cans.

Apr 4, 2003 at 2:09 AM Post #40 of 47
If you want to feel the bass, another option is a transducer.
You can get a good surround headphone and a transducer. you can place a transducer beneath your chair and feel that great sound effect.
There are three commercial transducer brands.
Buttkicker, Aura and the most hi-end "Clark Synthesis"

Apr 4, 2003 at 5:12 AM Post #42 of 47
ServinginEcuador, I disagree. The CD3000 is bass-heavy, but the HD600 has more powerful, punchier bass, and the DT770 has overwhelmingly more bass at the bottom-most octave. Plus the CD3k's bass tended to lag behind the music a slight bit.

Still, if he could afford the $350 headphone, the CD3000 has really darn good sonics when paired with a tubed amp I hear.

I prefer the sound of the HD600 to the CD3000.

Cheers,
Geek

Apr 4, 2003 at 5:39 AM Post #43 of 47
You guys all have good points. I guess the problem is that I might've overemphasized on the bass aspect of the requirement. Really good bass would probably be good enough for me if no other aspects of a pair of good headphones has been sacrificed. I don't need "amazing" or "the best" bass, especially if the cans end up sacrificing on other aspects such as balance, clarity, sound stage, etc. Maybe a good pair of headphones that does well with all sorts of music but is still above average (maybe even excellent) in bass would be fine.

Apr 4, 2003 at 5:56 AM Post #44 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by dragonlong
You guys all have good points. I guess the problem is that I might've overemphasized on the bass aspect of the requirement. Really good bass would probably be good enough for me if no other aspects of a pair of good headphones has been sacrificed. I don't need "amazing" or "the best" bass, especially if the cans end up sacrificing on other aspects such as balance, clarity, sound stage, etc. Maybe a good pair of headphones that does well with all sorts of music but is still above average (maybe even excellent) in bass would be fine.

hm.. actually all the above recommendations:
dt770, dt250-80, hd600 , and even sony cd3000 are very good at other departments too.. like good high, lows and midrange. not forgetting good soundstage.
You might want to go down a local shop to audition them(if possible). You can never rely 100% on words of mouth.Afterall you are the one who will be listening, not us.
Pick what sounds good to you, discard the rest(no matter how good of reviews it has been getting
wink.gif
)
That is the best piece of advice I can give you.

Apr 4, 2003 at 6:10 AM Post #45 of 47
Quote:

Originally posted by Guyferd
hm.. actually all the above recommendations:
dt770, dt250-80, hd600 , and even sony cd3000 are very good at other departments too.. like good high, lows and midrange. not forgetting good soundstage.
You might want to go down a local shop to audition them(if possible). You can never rely 100% on words of mouth.Afterall you are the one who will be listening, not us.
Pick what sounds good to you, discard the rest(no matter how good of reviews it has been getting
wink.gif
)
That is the best piece of advice I can give you.

True, and there's so many to choose from. It'll be tough to audition them all since the stores here suck and I'd be lucky if I found a store that carries even 1 of them! But I guess that's ok. I still have a lot of time before I'll make the purchase.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back