Any good headphone stores near NYC?
May 3, 2012 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

RBNYC2

New Head-Fier
Does anyone know of any stores, old or new, that carry a good selection of high-end stuff? Let me be clear, I've been to B&H and most of the popular audio stores in NYC. They all carry the typical stuff--grado's, sennheisers...B&H has a decent selection of some other brands but all hooked up to a terrible amp and a terrible source. Also, at most of these places, the only really "high-end" pair they will ever carry is the Sennheiser HD800 or Grado's top offerings, but I haven't seen anyone with the T1, or stuff from companies like Audeze, HiFiMAN, Stax, etc. In all the audio stores, headphones are an afterthought. Are there any truly great headphone places out there with a good selection of quality high end stuff? 

Amps too. Woo Audio's website says "Finely Crafted in New York" yet I haven't seen any woo amps at any audio store here, all the dealer's on their site are in Asia and Australia--what gives?

May 3, 2012 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 26
You can probably try J&R in lower Manhattan.

May 3, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #3 of 26
There are plenty of hi-end audio salons around Manhattan (and quite a bit in Long Island and North Jersey, too), but you will be hard pressed to find one that stocks a variety of headphone amps.  I've seen them at Lyric, Stereo Exchange, and Sound by Singer, but they usually only cary one or two models at a time (or are actually stereo preamps with good headphone stages).  I've never seen them at Park Ave Audio or In Living Stereo.  As for headphones, you've hit all the usual suspects: J&R and B&H--They seem to stock the widest variety.  Also, B&H has a lot of stock that is not on display; you have to ask for it.  The aforementioned high-end stores seem to only stock Sennheiser, Grado, and/or AKG.

May 4, 2012 at 5:44 AM Post #4 of 26
I should have mentioned that my aim is to find a place that has them on display, for listening. B&H does have a decent amount, but not for auditioning. J&R doesn't have a lot of very high end stuff. And all those audio stores typically only carry Grado, Senheiser, and sometimes theyll have an AKG 701. I guess what I'm looking for probably doesn't exist.

May 4, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:
I should have mentioned that my aim is to find a place that has them on display, for listening. B&H does have a decent amount, but not for auditioning. J&R doesn't have a lot of very high end stuff. And all those audio stores typically only carry Grado, Senheiser, and sometimes theyll have an AKG 701. I guess what I'm looking for probably doesn't exist.

J&R has HD800s and D7000s, but have a bad system behind them as well.  To answer your question, no, there's nothing even remotely good in the area.  It's a shame Woo's not open to the public.  The best way to listen to high-end head-fi gear, is to go to a meet.  And there's one happening on June 2nd.

May 5, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 26
I was hoping that maybe there was some new niche, hipster-run headphone store somewhere in or around Manhattan with really high end stuff--something I'd expect to see pop up in Williamsburg since the rent is lower, and everyone there seems to think they are a music producer. It's a shame there isn't at least one store in NYC that carries a lot of the products people discuss on these forums. I guess a store like that just couldn't survive yet. 

Can you tell me where I can find out more about how these meets work, i.e., any protocols I should know of, and what to expect in general?

May 5, 2012 at 7:13 AM Post #7 of 26
You can probably find everything you need here: http://www.head-fi.org/t/598488/official-nyc-meet-sat-june-2nd-2012

I think the last post links to a post outlining ettiquite. It's really not very complicated, it's free and anyone can come although a donation is encouraged toward the room rental fees, anything you can spare, kind of like the MET. Other than that, be respectful of people's gear and shower/be clean as you are wearing other people's headphones. I know that seems obvious but some people need to be told I guess.

May 5, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #8 of 26
If it were ever to exist I don't think Williamsburg would be where it would show up.  Rent prices wouldn't be as much of a factor as the income level of the foot traffic and association with surrounding stores to create a perception of exclusivity to non-head-fiers.  

Quote:
I was hoping that maybe there was some new niche, hipster-run headphone store somewhere in or around Manhattan with really high end stuff--something I'd expect to see pop up in Williamsburg since the rent is lower, 

May 12, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #10 of 26
This is the same question I was about to ask.  Good old search function got me there first though.  I'm dissapointed that there isn't anything really in the city.  Going to be there mid August and I was hoping there was somewhere that had a decent stock and would let you demo the equipment.  I guess I'll have to start looking for meets.

May 13, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #11 of 26
Depending on what you are looking for, there may be a few places that fit the bill. I was personally looking for a place that had some of the extra-unique stuff, but B&H has a surprising variety of decent headphones to demo, including the HD800 and several others...not a great amp/source though. 

May 14, 2012 at 11:19 PM Post #12 of 26
Yeah, and the guys at B&H don't really know what they're talking about, so you they'll look at you sideways if you ask to plug something into a portable amp.  J&R has a good, but limited, selection of high-end headphones on display (though more in stock).  The benefit to going there is that they will allow you to plug them into a demo receiver/integrated or a portable amp if you bring one.

May 15, 2012 at 12:39 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:
Yeah, and the guys at B&H don't really know what they're talking about, so you they'll look at you sideways if you ask to plug something into a portable amp.  J&R has a good, but limited, selection of high-end headphones on display (though more in stock).  The benefit to going there is that they will allow you to plug them into a demo receiver/integrated or a portable amp if you bring one.

Well, letting me demo what's on display is a good thing.  I don't let the E17 leave my side anymore, so I'll have an amp to test with.

Nov 14, 2012 at 4:35 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:
Yeah, and the guys at B&H don't really know what they're talking about, so you they'll look at you sideways if you ask to plug something into a portable amp.

We appreciate this feedback. You may be gratified to know that one of our sales managers found this and in addition to bringing it to my attention he's opened a discussion about how to improve this department and make it more appealing to a wider range of audiophiles.

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:21 PM Post #15 of 26
We appreciate this feedback. You may be gratified to know that one of our sales managers found this and in addition to bringing it to my attention he's opened a discussion about how to improve this department and make it more appealing to a wider range of audiophiles.

Link please 

Also, B&H has a lot of stock that is not on display; you have to ask for it. 

Excellent bit of information. I have to try that next time I pass by 
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back