Any good guides to soldering on the web?
Aug 9, 2006 at 2:42 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

tjkurita

1000+ Head-Fier
I am thinking of getting a Bottlehead SEX kit and putting it together. I have exactly zero soldering/building experience, but the kit is for beginners. I am looking for a basic guide on the web or perhaps from experienced builders that might point me in the right direction. This includes technique and good tools.

Thanks. Any help would be appreciated as I am really looking forward to trying my hand at building an amp.

TJK.

Aug 9, 2006 at 2:45 AM Post #2 of 4
http://tangentsoft.net/elec/movies/

It's pretty easy to do. I'd stay away from the Radio Shack irons as they're junk. I went through 3 of those before I went to Lowe's and bought a $13 Weller iron. In my opinion, it works much better. I've been using some solder I picked up in Taiwan, but I used to use the Radio Shack stuff and it was only okay...had trouble sticking to some connectors and such. You might want to check a local electronics supply store and see if they have higher quality solder, or maybe order some good stuff online.

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:36 AM Post #3 of 4
Hey tj,

Search in this DIY forum for "solder" or "solder technique" or something similar. Lots and lots and LOTS of great ideas. I believe my soldering skills have increased dramatically after hanging out here, reading the good stuff, and practicing. All you need might be right here!

Cheers!

BTW: The Bottlehad gear is fantastic. I own a ca. 2002 Bottlehead Foreplay and it is something else! I almost forgot to tell you to also hang out on the Bottlehead forum as, again, lots of smart people hanging around. For the most part over there, you can post questions, curcuit values, etc, and get solid answers back (just like here!).

Aug 9, 2006 at 3:56 AM Post #4 of 4
Thanks. I've got a good bit of research to do before I start but I am looking forward to trying it out.

I will do a search. I may have been a bit lazy.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back