Any good free MMORPG's?
Jun 1, 2006 at 5:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Cjattwood

500+ Head-Fier
See topic title, I've already tried MapleStory and didn't like it too much, anything else you Head-Fi'ers recommend?

Jun 1, 2006 at 5:43 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood
See topic title, I've already tried MapleStory and didn't like it too much, anything else you Head-Fi'ers recommend?

I figure I might ask, any reason you don't want to pay? Most of them are relatively afforderable, and generally speaking, your probably going to be putting so many hours of your life into the game, the money seems like nothing.

Jun 1, 2006 at 5:48 PM Post #3 of 16
Well once you buy Guild Wars, you don't have to pay monthly fees, does that count?

The community in that game is pretty terrible (it's a lot of younger kids a lot of the time) but it's a really solid game if you can find good buddies to party up with.

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by JaGWiRE
I figure I might ask, any reason you don't want to pay? Most of them are relatively afforderable, and generally speaking, your probably going to be putting so many hours of your life into the game, the money seems like nothing.

Honestly, MMORPG's are great fun but sooner or later I know I'll look back and think "wow I spent a lot of money on WoW" and regret it. There isn't really as big a regret if it's free.

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:01 PM Post #5 of 16
If you can get a cheap used copy of Guild Wars you are good to go for many hours.
smily_headphones1.gif

My guild is made up of people in age between 19 and 3x, so I wouldn't say the Guild Wars community is mostly young kids. Its not like we put an age limit on our Guild.

Biggie.

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #6 of 16
I don't know if it's quite a MMORPG, but I know a lot of people that play Runescapes. I don't particularly like it myself, but I'm more into FPS i.e. Counterstrike Source.

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:03 PM Post #7 of 16
Guild Wars is pretty tempting actually, One of my friends plays it, what are the system requirements like? My computer is pretty rustic
tongue.gif

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #9 of 16
Check out this game Kingdom of Loathing. It is free and is played in the browser.

Pretty low tech, most of the graphics are stick figures in black and white, but the writing is very clever and there is a lot of depth to the game once you start trying to complete quests as fast as possible. Pretty decent community too if you make sure to stay away from the casual gaming kids.

http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:25 PM Post #10 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Actual
Check out this game Kingdom of Loathing. It is free and is played in the browser.

Pretty low tech, most of the graphics are stick figures in black and white, but the writing is very clever and there is a lot of depth to the game once you start trying to complete quests as fast as possible. Pretty decent community too if you make sure to stay away from the casual gaming kids.

http://www.kingdomofloathing.com

Haha, Kingdom of Loathing is indeed awesome, I'm just looking for something more... "graphical", like MapleStory (which was a good game, just the constant grinding...arghh! has anything changed with it?)

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cjattwood
Guild Wars is pretty tempting actually, One of my friends plays it, what are the system requirements like? My computer is pretty rustic
tongue.gif

No worries, system requirements are pretty low - despite really nice graphics. Quite a nice game, too. However, it's not the right thing if one isn't much into PvP, I'd say - the story of the game and the missions didn't seem that great to me. The story seemed somewhat overly constructed and the missions got a bit boring over time (too stereotypical...).

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jun 1, 2006 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 16
Guild Wars looks great even with low system specs. If you meet the box's requirements, it's going to look good.

And as for the comment I made about the community, there are plenty of adults who play it... I'm just more accustomed to meeting the brats in towns and parties. I just feel like you need to look a little harder to find mature people to play with, etc.

Jun 1, 2006 at 7:02 PM Post #13 of 16
Guild Wars is great.. for about a month.

Good moneymaker though.
tongue.gif

I miss the Lineage II closed beta, that was fun.. when it went into open beta / P2P it went straight down the crapper. I guess the same can be said for most MMORPGs..

Jun 1, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #14 of 16
Guild wars is good, but you need to buy the software, then pay for expansion packs as they come out.

Jun 1, 2006 at 8:07 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Duke_Of_Eli
Guild wars is good, but you need to buy the software, then pay for expansion packs as they come out.

Well you don't have to buy the expansion packs. As far as buying the software goes, its pretty much next to free if you're into it for any length of time - at least when compared to games with subscriptions. Monthly subscription fees add up quick - which is especially a pain if you're in school and just don't have much time for it on certain months. Between playing EQ and keeping my account active in the school year for the few times I could afford the time to play, I flushed enough money down the toilet to buy GW many times over.

As for the game itself, I found it decent though ultimately not what I was looking for. I'm still waiting for another MMORPG that catches my interest for more than a couple of months. I suppose this has as much to do with the community as anything else. Perhaps I should try and see if things are any better later on in the game, but pretty much throughout my playing of it I came across more immature people than I did mature players. Constant random guild invites, people without a clue how to play, and annoying whiners abound. I'm also not much of a PVP'er either so that cuts out one of the aspects many people like about the game. I prefer working with people more than I do working against them - get enough conflict in real life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back