Any good budget active monitors for general use?
Feb 20, 2016 at 11:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

nicholars

Headphoneus Supremus
I am looking for some desktop speakers for my PC, for general use... I already have good headphones and DAC, but for things like some games, youtube videos and a bit of music (not loud) when I don't feel like using headphones or annoying the neighbors...

I just received some creative gigaworks, I don't like them and they will be going back.

The only other option would be some logitec 2.1 speakers, but I would rather have no sub at all than a cheap one which will more than likely sound bad, so that is all the pc speakers options I can think of... Unless I have missed any PC speakers that sound good?

The other option would be some active monitors, I do not want to spend more than £100 or maybe £150 max... Because these are just for general use like youtube videos or some games and a bit of music....

The sort of sound I like would be B&W 685 S2, Dynaudio, Shure SRH 1540, HD650 etc. so a bit of bass , good midrange and no sharp or sibilant treble.

So are there any good active monitors around £70-150 that are actually good sound quality and reasonably "nice" sounding? Like I have said above, I prefer more lower midrange and bass with less treble (but still clear) like for example HD650, SRH 1540, LCD2 etc.

My main speakers are B&W 602 s3 and a NAD 326Bee, my main headphones are SRH 1540 and NAD D1050... So are any cheap active monitors just going to sound bad compared? Are they all designed for mixing and because of that not very good for general use? Or are there any active monitors which are designed for multimedia etc? I noticed some M-Audio 40 or something like that for £99... the description says they are "multimedia" Do you think they would be any good, or are there any other small PC speakers that sound decent? They also cannot be big because they are going on a desk.

Thanks

Feb 21, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #3 of 7
Wow so many suggestions I cannot even read through all this stuff.

Thanks for the swan link, they do look good, and also have tone controls, although in uk are £250

Maybe I will keep the gigaworks for now, they are ok I guess (with some tweaks like filling the bass ports and changing the tone controls) for basic youtube videos etc. and do a proper upgrade at some point to something significantly better. I am probably expecting too much to get active monitors which are good for music at a low price, when my other systems are pretty good and worth more than that ... Probably any monitors under about £200 are just never going to sound good for music compared to the other things I use.

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #6 of 7
If you already have a nice dac then I would stretch your budget to £190 and get a pair of JBL LSR 305 https://www.scan.co.uk/products/jbl-lsr305-5-studio-monitor-speaker-black-(single)

There are some other low cost monitor makers like these little 4" monitors http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/tannoy-reveal-402--208643   You can get a pair of them for £125.

or indeed these http://www.dv247.com/studio-equipment/alesis-elevate-5-powered-desktop-studio-speakers--104950

I cant say I have ever used any, but some good online research may give you some ideas.

If space is an issue I would look at the smaller options, but dont expect low frequencies like you do on your cans. I would actually be tempted to buy a pair of the tannoys as they as so cheep :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back