Any good Bossa-Nova recommendations?
Apr 5, 2007 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

audiophile01

Head-Fier
I heard astrud gilberto & absolutely fell in love, especially her song Berimbau. Any one any similar songs to this or artists? You should also check out a remix done by Cut Chemist - The Garden.

Apr 5, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #3 of 24
Worth repeating and repeating: Casa by Ryuichi Sakamoto and the Morelenbalum couple is a superlative tribute to Antonio Carlos Jobim. The magic does wear thin on their live recording, A Day in New York, but you'll want this album just to hear more from Paula Morelenbalum's beautiful voice -- who knows, you may also become so obsessed that you hunt up and down for the Japanese domestic release with 3 bonus tracks.

The Morelenbalum's own project, Quarteto Jobim-Morelenbalum, is on the other hand a more passionate and earthly affair.

Also, another Bossa-Nova vocalist is Rosa Passos. She is also a fine guitarist, and her free-flowing take on rhythm will let you see old Bossa-Nova classics in a new light. Start with Amorosa.

Apr 5, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 24
Jobim's Wave is an essential album in my collection. Another that just gets more and more airtime with me is Eliane Elias' Brazilian Classics. I love her piano work. Astrud Gilberto's Verve Jazz Masters 9 is an excellent compilation.

Stan Getz' Bossas and Ballads: The Lost Sessions is not to be missed.

Gabriela Anders' Wanting is pretty good.

I agree with the Rosa Passos Amorosa recommendation. It's amazingly gentle music, perfect when you want something restful.

Apr 5, 2007 at 7:53 AM Post #5 of 24
1. Antônio Carlos Jobim
2. João Gilberto/Stan Getz
3. Astrud Gilberto
4. Bebel Gilberto
5. Cibelle (only a few of her songs)
6. BossaCucaNova
7. Celso Fonseca
8. nouvelle vague (sp?) they have an album on some 'modern' bossa nova

you may even want to try the 'tropicalia' genre of brazilian music too, just a heads up

Apr 5, 2007 at 1:59 PM Post #6 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Worth repeating and repeating: Casa by Ryuichi Sakamoto and the Morelenbalum couple is a superlative tribute to Antonio Carlos Jobim.

I absolutely love this album too. Great recommendation!

Apr 5, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by antiant /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1. Antônio Carlos Jobim
2. João Gilberto/Stan Getz
3. Astrud Gilberto
4. Bebel Gilberto
5. Cibelle (only a few of her songs)
6. BossaCucaNova
7. Celso Fonseca
8. nouvelle vague (sp?) they have an album on some 'modern' bossa nova

you may even want to try the 'tropicalia' genre of brazilian music too, just a heads up

Cibelle's self titled first album only. The second album, which is great, is not bossa nova. Nouvelle Vague is one I want but is out of print. It's a French band doing bossa nova versions of 80's new wave songs.

I started getting into bossa nova with Jobim's Greatest Moments and Astrud's Greatest Moments. There is some overlap between the two.

Stan Getz or Charlie Byrd have many American versions.

If you are just starting, I would get a collection CD.

I like the Putumayo Brazil colections. The one with the most bossa nova is Samba Bassa Nova.

I've read very glowing reviews of the Pure Brazil series. Not all of them are bossa nova though.

I feel like a broken record for suggesting it (4 times in the last 2 days), but allmusic.com is a fantastic web site for learning about music. For the most part, it only covers American releases, but for bossa nova, that's a lot of music.

Apr 6, 2007 at 5:59 PM Post #13 of 24
I've really gotten into Brazilian music in the last couple years. I've been less into the Bossa Nova stuff and started getting into the funky 70's stuff and modern electronic Brazilian stuff. Here's some of what I've found.

Suba- He's was a Serbian born ex-pat who was a great producer (Produced Bebel Gilberto's Tanto Tempo) Both Sao Paolo Confessions and Tributo (remix album) are good.

Seu Jorge- most people know him for his David Bowie covers but I like his own compositions better. Both Carolina and Cru are great but different.

Celso Fonseca- Someone already mentioned him and he's the closest thing to bossa nova i have listed.

Lenine- This is rock with Brazilian influences but it's one of the best albums I found last year. I've been looking for more of his stuff but haven't found any yet.

Eliane Elias- also mentioned before but i really like her sound.

There is also a ton of compilations on Brazil and I have found the Brazilian Beats compilations by the Mr. Bongo label to be great fun and a great way to find new artists worth seaking out.

Apr 6, 2007 at 7:36 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by drew8mc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've really gotten into Brazilian music in the last couple years. I've been less into the Bossa Nova stuff and started getting into the funky 70's stuff and modern electronic Brazilian stuff. Here's some of what I've found.

One of the first Brazilian CDs I bought after the Jobim and Astrud, was Samba Soul 70! from Six Degrees. This is a very fun album. I was amazed when I saw it at my local library a couple of months ago.
600smile.gif

Apr 6, 2007 at 8:50 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by drew8mc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Suba- He's was a Serbian born ex-pat who was a great producer (Produced Bebel Gilberto's Tanto Tempo) Both Sao Paolo Confessions and Tributo (remix album) are good.

Suba's protegee Katia B is also terrific. Her second album Só Deixo Meu Coração na Mão de Quem Pode (sold in the USA as My Brazilian Heart) is one of my favorites, in heavy rotation. She has a third album coming in May, which I'm really looking forward to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back