Any good books to make me smarter? :):)
Dec 12, 2008 at 4:27 PM Post #31 of 48
Read some of this:

2090491760_f1526fee66_o.jpg

(from one of my latest amazon buys)

Dec 13, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #32 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by schalliol /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Darn, I was just feeling good about myself!
icon10.gif

LOL Its a fun read though.

now watch the show
smily_headphones1.gif

GZBjHsI6Hbk

Like this one, which I also recommend witout reservation

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #35 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
go bang a female

see, we do that too.
biggrin.gif

do you read a book, sometimes? perhaps one that you might want to recommend to the rest of us. After all this is what this thread is about...

Dec 13, 2008 at 3:24 AM Post #36 of 48
I just finished reading The Civil War by Shelby Foot. 3 volumes of about 1000 pages each. It is a masterpiece and a must if you are an American.

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:50 AM Post #37 of 48
Quote:

go bang a female

I couldn't find that one on Amazon? Is it supposed to be some sort of self help book?

Tons of great suggestions. Now, so much to read, so little free time. That is the reason I like books though. My free time is very valuable to me so I would rather spend it reading a book where the author has spent years researching, developing and refining his interesting ideas, and crafting his presentation for me to take it all in as a concentrated does of content as opposed to watching some talk show television or reality show.

Dec 13, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #38 of 48
[size=medium]Good god people you've mentioned mounds of amazing books yet there is one outstanding book that deserves respect and mention in this thread! My fellow headfiers read "The Art of War"by Sun Su. This one book has literally changed the way i look at life and all the problem that come my way[/size]

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:17 AM Post #39 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by gtp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that literature took me away and was a very refreshing contrast to my physics studies. Furthermore, as you work toward a PhD in science or engineering, 99% of the world won't understand what the heck you work on, so a good broad knowledge of the humanties will be very helpful at social events ;>).

I have had that problem with high school level rubbish, to say nothing about all the stuff I learned in college. However, people are just as confused when I talk about my personal literature "projects." So I figure that it's really not my problem.

Dec 13, 2008 at 11:01 AM Post #40 of 48
x2 on that engineering comment.

I have a theory that most engineers deliberately make simple things sound complicated to compensate for a lack of, um, something below. I find it ****en annoying that textbooks will make something extremely easy sound extremely complicated.

Uni is 99.99% about breaking through the technical ********. Well, at least in aerospace engineering anyway.

Dec 14, 2008 at 1:05 AM Post #42 of 48
I was reading quite a bit of junk when I was doing my MSc in Biology, mainly to get my mind off. But there are so must-read junk to consider:

"Small Gods" by Terry Pratchett
"Descent of Man" by Charles Darwin
"Beyond Good and Evil" by Friedrich Nietzsche
"The Malay Archipelago" by Alfred Wallace
"The Stranger" by Albert Camus

And in case you can't sleep at night:
"Being and Time" by Martin Heidegger
"Being and Nothingness" by Jean-Paul Satre

Dec 14, 2008 at 2:01 AM Post #44 of 48
define "good book" - define "smart" - but I'm willing to bet that for most people who prize smarts, their definition of "good books" will go in that same direction. anyone who believes "smart" and "good books" point in opposite directions (and I have met my share), please write a book about it :wink:

Dec 14, 2008 at 5:39 AM Post #45 of 48
Quote:

Originally Posted by digger945 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Go here.
Read all you want.

plus, you might find some interesting CDs - original first pressings etc...

but if you really don't have the time, go here and read it all

Quote:

Originally Posted by melomaniac /img/forum/go_quote.gif
define "good book" - define "smart" - but I'm willing to bet that for most people who prize smarts, their definition of "good books" will go in that same direction. anyone who believes "smart" and "good books" point in opposite directions (and I have met my share), please write a book about it :wink:

I think good book = good read. OK, there are good books that are lousy reads, but these are for content, sometimes a necessity but boring.

IMHO they aren't necessarily inclusive or exclusive. there are great books that do not make you smarter; just as there are books which make lousy reading but do make you smarter. Also there are books that can make you think - and become smarter - but that isn't always the result (thinking, or getting smarter)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back