any good 256mb mp3 players?
Nov 27, 2002 at 12:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Ewok

Head-Fier
Im looking for an mp3 player with at least 128mb preferably 256mb available.

Size is not an issue other than it must fit into an average size jacket/trouser pocket so any type of cd drive is out of the question. Also if at all possible I would like it to have a built in radio though. I will be using it with a new pair of MX500. Variable bit rate mp3's also are not an issue since I dont have any, al it has to play is standard mp3s.

I've seen quite a few but none seem to get really good reccomendations consistently. I might end up considering a minidisc instead because they seem to have amazing battery life (56 hours on 1 battery?!?!?). But I'm not sure about their sound quality compared to a 192k mp3.

it needs to be available in europe (UK)
biggrin.gif

Nov 27, 2002 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 19
Iriver is coming out soon with a 256MB version of their small MP3 player (the iFP-180T). The 128 MB version is getting decent reviews. I'd consider holding out for that. It will easily fit into any pocket. Not sure about its availability in Europe, though.

Nov 27, 2002 at 10:01 PM Post #3 of 19
Doubt it will be available in europe as I've never heard of em and cant seem to find em at all.

Gonna also consider MD players, cos it looks like finding a decent mp3 player is a bit hard.

Nov 27, 2002 at 11:54 PM Post #5 of 19
looks ok, got radio too. but £170 for that? I've been looking at minidisc players, several times the battery life of any of these mp3 players, I hear the sound quality is better (although not sure if thats just compared to 128 or 192, and i only use 192 or more) they are also cheaper. So it looks like I may be going for MD instead, all but one seem to lack the radio though.

Nov 27, 2002 at 11:57 PM Post #6 of 19
I have aNomad MGII it is the 128mb version, but it has aslot for a smartmedia card. I also believe they have a 256mb version. It sounds really, good. Has a FM Tuner and voice recorder. Very, well made. Magnesium case.
cool.gif

Nov 28, 2002 at 12:28 AM Post #7 of 19
yeah just saw that one on the site. Question is am I better off with that or a MD (if i can find one with radio, only seen one and it doesnt have the new MD net functions).

Nov 28, 2002 at 7:50 AM Post #8 of 19
Ewok,
Another player you may want to check out is the NexII. The player uses CF cards and the larger size cards are getting cheaper by the day. I own this player and enjoy it very much.
There is a thread a page or two back with more info.

Nov 28, 2002 at 11:26 AM Post #9 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by Ewok
yeah just saw that one on the site. Question is am I better off with that or a MD (if i can find one with radio, only seen one and it doesnt have the new MD net functions).

No NetMD's with a radio yet..

The Sony MZ-N10 looks promising..32x transfer speed in LP2 mode (132k ATRAC3 but comparible to 192k mp3). Unfortunately, NetMD is still clumsy compared to a flash mp3 player..
And it's also US$369...........

Nov 28, 2002 at 12:23 PM Post #10 of 19
did you mean the MZN1? Ive just been looking at that. I would definately need one of the net MD's cos I'll be transferring all the music from the pc.

As far as I can see there IS only one MD with a radio on it and thats the MZG755 which is fine but it doesnt have the net stuff, so I wont be holding my breath for an MD with radio on it since they dont seem to wanna make them even though they have already proved it perfectly possible.

I am favouring MD over mp3 players now since the mp3 players are no cheaper, have limited memory, far far less battery life (which i find quite amazing since MD's have moving parts and motors and lazers and mp3 players dont), and MD's also sound better apparently. Unfortunately I have no idea which MD to get.

Nov 28, 2002 at 2:45 PM Post #11 of 19
Why not consider an iPod? get a refurbished 5GB iPod right know for $199 at apple.com/store under "special deals". Its the greatest mp3 player on earth right now, and you WILL be able to jog/run with it. I have one myself, and it really is the coolest device. Visit ipodlounge.com and their forum will answer all your question. Too, the sound quality is amazing. Actually has a better headphone output than the NJB3 (100db against 98db with NJB3).

Nov 28, 2002 at 6:11 PM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally posted by onex
Why not consider an iPod? get a refurbished 5GB iPod right know for $199 at apple.com/store under "special deals". Its the greatest mp3 player on earth right now, and you WILL be able to jog/run with it. I have one myself, and it really is the coolest device. Visit ipodlounge.com and their forum will answer all your question. Too, the sound quality is amazing. Actually has a better headphone output than the NJB3 (100db against 98db with NJB3).

i agree. flash players are so expensive it isn't even funny. I dont see the point in getting something other than a HD player (especially with ones the size and weight of the ipod) unless you were getting something the size of the muvo. The Rio players and such just seem like wastes to me.

Nov 29, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #13 of 19
Went for a net MD, MZ-N1. decided longer battery life and ease of getting the stuff off my pc onto it and the higher sound quality than mp3s was enuff to go for MD. shame they just dont do em with radios.

Nov 29, 2002 at 2:03 AM Post #14 of 19
the radio on the R700 is on the remote itself. you can buy an additional, radio equipped remote to plug into the N1. i'm not sure if it'll function perfectly, but i know the basic functions should work. i've tried the remote off an R50 and it's worked on my N1. i've never tried a radio unit before though. so.. just a suggestion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back