Any FPS Gamer switch to LCD?
Jul 19, 2006 at 1:36 AM Post #32 of 52
Meh..

I firmly believe that ghosting in this day and age is a gigantic myth.
Buy a 17 or 19 inch LCD that has decent reviews and an 8ms response time and there is not a damned chance ghosting will happpen.

Jul 19, 2006 at 1:40 AM Post #33 of 52
Jul 19, 2006 at 1:53 AM Post #34 of 52
I swithced from two flagship 21" screens (Eizo 965 and Sony F500) to two Dell 24". Very happy i did the switch!

The Dells far outperform the CRTs when it comes to color, geometry, focus and size (kindo obvious).

However they do suffer slightly from ghosting. I play a lot of FPS and sometimes you can notice a slight greyish "ghost" when something of high contrast is moving across the screen. I play BF2 a lot these days and this emanates sometimes as 2-5mm grey "blur" behind soliders running directly across the screen.

I'd say this is in NO way hampering once performance in any FPS game - and that the benefits of such a screen outweighs this one downside.

Also i am certain that the Apple 23" and the Dell 24" does NOT use the same panel. I saw the part number for the Dell panel and it was a Samsung 12ms panel.

Also keep in mind that when a screen is advertized with this and that latency - especially the very low latency ones - this is the absolute best case (usually black to white), and response time might be far worse when for example going from one shade of grey to another shade of grey! Also some screens "cheat" on the color band to achieve low response times - e.g. the color isnt 8 bit per channel but rather 5 or 6 bit!

Other bonuses to the Dell's is that they got component inputs (good for console gaming). The screen also supports PIP if thats your thing.

http://home.online.no/~jaschjer/screens.JPG

Jul 19, 2006 at 3:31 AM Post #35 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Torm
However they do suffer slightly from ghosting. I play a lot of FPS and sometimes you can notice a slight greyish "ghost" when something of high contrast is moving across the screen. I play BF2 a lot these days and this emanates sometimes as 2-5mm grey "blur" behind soliders running directly across the screen.

I'd say this is in NO way hampering once performance in any FPS game - and that the benefits of such a screen outweighs this one downside.

Yep! This is exactly what I was trying to describe about high-contrast objects having a blur on them. It was surprising at first just because it was different than what I was used to, but in the end it doesn't affect gameplay. Like you said, the benefits outweigh that one flaw.

But a decent LCD monitor is the key. The small junky affairs I often see in customer's homes that came with their PC are often worse than a CRT in every respect but size. Blurry / ghosting of static images (bad VGA sync), poor viewing angles, poor contrast and colour, etc.

Jul 19, 2006 at 6:01 AM Post #36 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by crazyfrenchman27
Most of the Dell monitors I have seen and use do not have a high enough refresh rate for FPS (75 hz/12 ms isn't really enough).

My 19" LG LCD with DVI/180 hz/8 ms seems to serve me more than adequately, however.

-Matt

What model do you have? I'd like to take a look at the specs.

Jul 19, 2006 at 7:24 AM Post #38 of 52
CRT > LCD for FPS Gaming, LCD Technology at the moment (at least in the commercial market) cannot match the refresh rate capabilities of a CRT monitor of the same size, I *needed* 100 Hz in order to perform my best in Call of Duty, and I can definantly tell the difference between all standard refresh rates from 60-100

Jul 19, 2006 at 7:25 AM Post #39 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Enverxis
CRT > LCD for FPS Gaming, LCD Technology at the moment (at least in the commercial market) cannot match the refresh rate capabilities of a CRT monitor of the same size, I *needed* 100 Hz in order to perform my best in Call of Duty, and I can definantly tell the difference between all standard refresh rates from 60-100

Yup! I use 120.

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:31 AM Post #41 of 52
Pshhh i may have been gone from this forum for a long time but i just have to add my ten cents, i have the dell 30" and im a sponsored gamer, bf2, no ghosting, no lag and refresh rates do not matter with lcd.

Aug 11, 2006 at 10:52 AM Post #42 of 52
Switched to a BenQ FP202W from a 19" CRT, it's good
smily_headphones1.gif
No distracting ghosting, you can see it if you want though (8ms).

Aug 14, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #43 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by fr4c
Im using a Samsung 930B and so far it has been flawless. I heard of issues of Samsung with bleeding at the edges, but this one seems to be okay. Samsung makes some pretty neat LCD's, and I think this is one of them.

Ditto. LCD's seem to have matured more than enough for them to be fine for FPS now. Just do your research to make sure the model you are interested in is sufficient for your applications.

Aug 14, 2006 at 3:53 PM Post #44 of 52
I'm on a Dell 2001FP. Better color than any CRT I've ever used (even my Trinitron G200), beautiful contrast even though it's only 400:1, and no ghosting ever, even in UT2004 at 16ms. I couldn't be happier. It's huge, fast, got a viewing angle better than my TV, and has all sorts of useful inputs. Now I just need to get a second one....and a bigger desk.

Aug 15, 2006 at 7:07 AM Post #45 of 52
I've got an AG Neovo 19" widescreen. 4ms response time, 500:1 contrast ratio and it had a $60 mail-in rebate when I got it. I just love it, coming from a Dell Trinitron 19" CRT.
biggrin.gif
I've never had any ghosting or stuff like that. I was a little bit hesitant to buy it because it only has a D-Sub input, but it turned out just fine. What sort of difference does DVI make? I suppose this way I'll appreciate a DVI monitor even more when I upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back