Any former iPod haters who ended up getting an iTouch?
Apr 3, 2008 at 11:00 PM Post #16 of 38
I went from a zen vision m 30gig, to a 16 gig ipod touch and I couldnt be happier. Its a cool little gadget, especially jailbroken.

Apr 4, 2008 at 2:40 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by selfdivider /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, I'm an iPod hater (4G) who actually was thinking of buying an iTouch b/c of wi-fi, email, calendar function, etc. So I went into Best Buy & plugged my earphones in it (Senn PXC-450) and the sound was so... bad. It sounded tinny & digitized, worse than my 4G. I plugged the earphones in the Classic, and it was MUCH better. Even the Nano sounded better than the iTouch to me. So no go on iTouch for me. More thinking...

Strange, I own a classic, plugged my e4's in a touch at circuit city the other day and thought the touch sounded much better than the classic.

Apr 4, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #18 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am always surprised with that question. i spent ~$650 on my westone ES2's and couldn't have been happier. i would say save up for some custom IEM's like the ES2's and a decent portable player like the A818 first, then move on to buying an amp.

Given time, most people here can save up $650. But let's face it, people who actually choose to pay $650 for an IEM is a rare sub species in the human race.
biggrin.gif
We all have different commitments and priority. I am into photography, musical instruments and reef aquarium. Each of these is enough to make a rich man poor, and each morning I have to face the mirror and say "I am not an audiophile" to myself to prevent the tragedy that is happening to many here in this forum.
biggrin.gif

But seriously, to me it is a real choice whether I should spend $400 on an IEM and plug it into my phone or to split it between a DAP and an IEM. From what I have listened, the most cost effective way of improving sound quality is by getting a quality IEM. DAP, at least to me, make less of a difference. And of course, I haven't found a DAP that sounded worse than my phone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sanity8me /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw, if you think the K810i sounds good wait till your hear the A818. it is considered to be one of the best sounding DAC's on the market. and it's a steal for that price.

I guess I'm going to learn that pretty soon, I ordered an A816 yesterday, for $90 I think it's really a steal.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:15 PM Post #19 of 38
i used to hate ipod - infact i was a flamer (no no, not that flamer) and ranted on and on at my friends who had them and stifled people who raved about them.

oh yeah, ipod
sounds like shyte,
looks like white stool
itunes -meh

well, i got an ipod touch in october and what do i have to say for myself: this is a keeper! i have kept this longer as a main listening device than any other player other than my dearly departed (incident involving brick and dropping and a very sinister 14 year old) sharp md-dr7.

it is solid, looks okay, sounds great and just works bloody better than i ever expected it to. gapless playback is probably my main stay with this bad boy as well as just solid playback and overall great support from apple

Apr 5, 2008 at 2:17 PM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by akasan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Strange, I own a classic, plugged my e4's in a touch at circuit city the other day and thought the touch sounded much better than the classic.

this just goes to show you that SQ is not indeed SQ as we overuse here.

it is personal Q. if you like the sound, it is great SQ. if you do not like the sound it is poor SQ.

i love both the sound of the classic and the touch and the 3g nano! haha, they just sound so much better than what i came from

Apr 5, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #21 of 38
One of the main reasons (besides the lesser SQ and higher price - like all iPods) for me to not get a Touch is also its main draw: the touch screen. While it is very cool and fun to play around with, and really smooth for choosing what songs to listen to, etc, it seems unconvenient to me to not have any buttons at all (except for the main menu button). I mean, just to change songs you have to take the Touch out of your pocket (or where ever you keep it), look at the screen, touch it to make it come alive and/or slide the unlock thingy, and make sure you hit the spot where the "next" button is located. With my Sony NWZ-A818 I can just reach into my pocket, feel my way to the D-pad, and press the appropriate direction (or the "play/pause" button if that's what I'm after). With the Touch there's just no way to do it like that. The same goes for changing the volume. Had they just added simple volume buttons (which could double as next/previous buttons by holding them down for a little while) it would have been another thing. There's still the high price and the not-so-great SQ to hold me back from getting any type of iPod, but the Touch sure is nice in many other ways.

Apr 6, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #24 of 38
I personally would never buy an iPod. Be it the iTouch, the iPhone, or anything else. I've heard all of them several times and every time I pull my earplugs out I wonder as to how so many people fail to notice that the Sound Quality is plain old bad. It's way too bright and muddy to be allowed to go unnoticed.

Of course, if someone held a gun to my head and dragged me to the Apple store, I would pick the Classic. it does sound acceptable.

I guess the reason most people don't realize that the iPod has bad SQ is because they've never heard anything better. As long as it's loud and cool, they're okay with it. Truly, ignorance is bliss.

Everyday I wish I was one of those people. Must be nice to be able to plonk down 199$ and be truly satisfied with whatever you get.

Apr 7, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #25 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadHazard /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the main reasons for me to not get touched is also its main draw: the screen-touch. While it is very cool and fun to play around with, and really smooth, it seems unconvenient to me to not have any buttons at all. I mean, just to change, you have to take it out of your pocket (or where ever you keep it), look at it to make it come alive and/or slide it, and make sure you hit the spot. With my touch replacement I can just reach into my pocket, feel my way to it, and press the appropriate direction. With the Touch there's just no way to do it like that. The same goes for changing. Had they just added simple buttons, it would have been another thing.

haha - will have to agree on the sliding in and out of pokcet to change songs but i have always listend to albums not songs, never got into the mood of just listening to favourites. as for sq, i think you mean, sound of the ipod is not to your liking as it does nothing any differently than any other player sq wise. same faults and often better performance in key areas like stereo separation

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #26 of 38
I'm interested in picking one up to replace my Palm Tungsten E2 PDA, as the battery is starting to crap out. I'm going to nurse it along as long as possible in hopes that the Touch gets updated later this year with better PDA functions -- especially an alternative to Outlook (which is a deal-breaker for me) for calendar syncing. This thing looks to have real potential...

Apr 7, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #27 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by shigzeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haha - will have to agree on the sliding in and out of pokcet to change songs but i have always listend to albums not songs, never got into the mood of just listening to favourites.

Yeah, I often do that as well (listen to complete albums), and I agree that in those situations there's no real need for physical buttons (though I will once in a while want to skip certain songs). But I also often want a little more variation, so I might set my A818 to shuffle songs from a specific genre, say "Progressive rock". Then I'll get a great mix of songs from the style of music I feel like listening to, and if I don't want to hear a specific song I can easily change to the next song without taking the DAP out of my pocket. The same goes for if I choose to shuffle all songs, though that rarely happens.

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:23 PM Post #28 of 38
Personally, the touch is ok. Sometimes I wished I waited a bit and bought the Zen 32gb instead. But what I'm even less impressed with is Apple. I'm still amazed at their business practices. It's so closed and annoying to deal with.

Apr 17, 2008 at 12:54 PM Post #29 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by yslee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally, the touch is ok. Sometimes I wished I waited a bit and bought the Zen 32gb instead. But what I'm even less impressed with is Apple. I'm still amazed at their business practices. It's so closed and annoying to deal with.

Why the Zen, and which business practices?

Apr 18, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #30 of 38
The Zen's dirt cheap and has 32gb with a card slot. I still have my Zen Vision:M and if the Zen has the same SQ it's going to be a tiny bit better than the touch.

The 5 apps for $20 is one (revenue recognition my ass), the inability to buy it even if I wanted to, the locking down of the platform... generally there's lots to like, but I feel the touch can be so much more if Apple wasn't so anal. I guess it's just me feeling very frustrated with the device not being able to reach its potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back