Any FLAC portable media player?
Dec 18, 2008 at 12:20 AM Post #17 of 34
I wish that Apple wasn't so gay-in-the-face so that we could use Rockbox with the Classics.... 160GB of Rockboxed goodness will seemingly never be.

In fact, I'm actually considering selling/trading my 160 for an 80gb 5.5gen though the thought of reconverting all my ripped ALAC to FLAC seems a little pointless right now. *sigh*

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #18 of 34
how come no one on this forum has the cowon A3? ive yet to see anyone with the A3. i have a ZVM, but after thats dead or broken, i was thinking about getting an A3, but not sure yet. they seem really good. so how come no one has em?

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #19 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by my.self /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how come no one on this forum has the cowon A3? ive yet to see anyone with the A3. i have a ZVM, but after thats dead or broken, i was thinking about getting an A3, but not sure yet. they seem really good. so how come no one has em?

That's because the A3 has an actual hard drive whereas most of the audiophiles are after flash based drive for portability, lightweight, size and as the Cowon D2 does it, SDHC for expandability. Oh did i forget to mention the A3 is twice as big and thick as the D2..so yeah it depends whether or not size factor is a concern, and your wallet too. It seems like the A3 focuses way too much on video (aka PVP) whereas most people just want music.

Dec 18, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #20 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by davidw89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's because the A3 has an actual hard drive whereas most of the audiophiles are after flash based drive for portability, lightweight, size and as the Cowon D2 does it, SDHC for expandability. Oh did i forget to mention the A3 is twice as big and thick as the D2..so yeah it depends whether or not size factor is a concern, and your wallet too. It seems like the A3 focuses way too much on video (aka PVP) whereas most people just want music.

Audiophiles care about portability, weight, and size???
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f15/pi...t-xiii-371737/
hehe

Dec 18, 2008 at 4:01 AM Post #21 of 34
some of us do... there are some very portable setups in that thread

Dec 18, 2008 at 5:01 AM Post #22 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I wish that Apple wasn't so gay-in-the-face so that we could use Rockbox with the Classics.... 160GB of Rockboxed goodness will seemingly never be.

In fact, I'm actually considering selling/trading my 160 for an 80gb 5.5gen though the thought of reconverting all my ripped ALAC to FLAC seems a little pointless right now. *sigh*

ALAC is, per SoundCodecs < Main < TWiki, supported on 5th gen.
icon10.gif

Dec 18, 2008 at 12:30 PM Post #23 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Should you not blame the Rockbox developers for that?
After all its they who don't support the iPod Classic...

Dec 18, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #24 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should you not blame the Rockbox developers for that?
After all its they who don't support the iPod Classic...

No, you should blame Apple and their draconian closed-source policies on this. My understanding is that the 6G and above are harder to decrypt and reverse engineer. And before you think I'm just bashing Apple, the Zune has a similar setup and just as difficult to reverse engineer. We might never see Rockbox on either product line.

Dec 19, 2008 at 2:14 AM Post #25 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by roebeet /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No, you should blame Apple and their draconian closed-source policies on this. My understanding is that the 6G and above are harder to decrypt and reverse engineer. And before you think I'm just bashing Apple, the Zune has a similar setup and just as difficult to reverse engineer. We might never see Rockbox on either product line.

it will probably take a singularity or a rip in the space-time continuum to ever see apple with open source hardware and software. They are that obnoxious. Yes, the new gens are very difficult to crack.

Dec 19, 2008 at 3:41 AM Post #26 of 34
i'd bet there will be a working rockbox on v2 sansas before there is a working rockbox on newer ipods

Dec 20, 2008 at 3:10 AM Post #27 of 34
My Sansa c240 Rockboxed does the job. You can still get them for low cost from Amazon and the Sansa store is having a 1/2 off sale with promo code "Blowout".

I heard Rockbox for v2 is getting close.

Dec 21, 2008 at 8:34 AM Post #29 of 34
Quote:

Originally Posted by nsc4u /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is flac sounds good than ape or wav?

FLAC is lossless, just like Monkey's Audio (APE). Meaning that they store the same audio data as in the source file.
WAV is just an audio container, which can store PCM (CD audio data), MP3 (lossy), and more. So its not comparable

Dec 21, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #30 of 34
well wav is almost always used to store PCM streams... only reason anyone would bother putting mp3 audio into a wav container is to get around some kind of filter that blocks files ending in .mp3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back