Any fix for worn socket on MMCX earbuds?
Jun 24, 2020 at 12:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

netwiz

100+ Head-Fier
I've got Shure SE846 which aren't cheap to replace. The left bud has a worn socket - I've tried a couple of different cables - and sometimes doesn't work. Shure can't offer a fix and it's about 5 years old. Anything I can do?

thanks
Nick

Jun 24, 2020 at 1:21 PM Post #2 of 5
Do the cables that work have the expansion or 'split' male ends?

-850492199-1900742444.jpg
2039507442-1456864693.jpg
-528788182-1031823256.jpg

If you don't have any cables with these ends, I'd try them. The center pin in the se846 could also spread, maybe a light squeeze with some precision tweezers may also help.

Like this, but I wouldn't squeeze quite as far closed.

10279722.jpg

Jun 25, 2020 at 5:27 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the suggestions. I've ordered an eyeglass and small tweezers, but on closer inspection it looks like the internal connector is broken. I'm sending it off to the repairer suggested.
Nick

Jul 6, 2020 at 8:13 AM Post #5 of 5
I thought I'd let you know what's happening.... I went to Electronic Partners https://uk.electronic.partners/ as suggested, and they said they'd be able to fix the connector - fantastic. I posted off the earbud on Thursday, and they told me it was fixed on Friday, although too late to send out. Cost c£80 including a £30 priority fee. It then got lost in the mail coming back, and after phoning Royal Mail it turned up today (Monday) - a week after being posted 24 Tracked.
The earbud doesn't work properly. I've been playing around with different cables, players, and earbuds to try to isolate the problem but I can't make sense of it. I've ordered another cable to arrive this evening from Amazon and will see what happens. If I can't sort it out then I can send the earbud back to EP under warranty. I'll let you know.

EDIT: I ended up sending the earbud back under warranty. This time they fixed it properly, although it was annoying that they returned it 48hours - they ought to treat warranties as priority.

EDIT: It's now 3 months later and the connector is loose again. EP won't fix it under warranty as it's more than three months since the original fix, also it's less than three since the warranty fix. I won't use them again if I can avoid it.

I'm now trying fixmyheadphones here https://www.fixmyheadphones.co.uk/ - at a cost of £75.

EDIT I got the earphones back fixed after 5 weeks and they work. It's been a couple of weeks or so now with no issues. I did have a bit of a bizarre interaction with the guy as when I inquired what was happening he told me a couple of times he'd be sending them but didn't, and ultimately accused me of whinging. All I'd asked for was an honest update. Anyhow fingers crossed they keep going now.

Nick

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back