Any fellow Canuck's order headphones, etc from the States?
Mar 6, 2004 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

doug zdanivsky

100+ Head-Fier
I've haven't ordered from the States in a LONG time, and I'm just wondering what kind of hit you would take at customs, with the duty, etc..

Anybody have any tips?

For example I thought it was ok (well, maybe not in the strictest sense), to insure it through the USPS for the full amount, but on the customs form claim the value to be less.. ie, insure it for $200, put $50 on the customs declaration..

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:10 AM Post #2 of 9
What you are describing has always seemed like a shady practice to me, but I've never argued with a vendor that wants to under-report the value on a custom's slip! Some vendors will even ship items to you as "gifts", which lets you dodge the duties entirely. I'm not going to name any vendors though since I strongly suspect it could get them into trouble. I'd be greatly interested to know if anyone knows much about the legalities of all this...

The hit you do wind up taking is going to depend greatly on the above, but also on what you're ordering. Duties should be less stiff on U.S. made goods thanks to NAFTA. Ordering Japanese manufactured goods from the U.S. will incur much larger duties. (At least, this is the case for loudspeakers.) I'm really not sure how head-phones are classified. You should go to the CCRA site and read up on what duty category headphones fall under.

Other than that, never ship anything by UPS and you should be fine.
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:33 AM Post #3 of 9
Ok, thanks!

Mar 6, 2004 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 9
Doug,

I order audio and computer products from the U.S. quite often. Many of my experiences are posted in various threads here (do a search on "canada customs" or "canada shipping" and you'll get lots of hits).

In a nutshell, the only way that you'll avoid paying duty (note: both GST and PST are assessed on items entering B.C.) is with the USPS. In one of the threads that I referred to above (this one, actually), we discussed how using a parcel service (e.g. UPS, FedEx, Purolator, etc.) will usually result in the recipient (you) having to pay excessive brokerage fees, as well as customs duty. On the other hand, using USPS, your parcel may escape inspection and, therefore, have no duties assessed. (In my case, of the last four parcels that I received from the U.S., only one was hit with duties. All of them were sent via USPS Airmail Parcel Post and insured at or near the maximum amount ($675 US). No shadiness involved - all the waybills declared the actual value of the goods being shipped.)

By the way, avoid UPS, if possible. If you want to read about UPS horror stories (mostly dealing with damaged goods and/or insurance hassles), then there are quite a few threads in the forum that are worth looking at. To put it bluntly, you'll save yourself a lot of money and aggravation if you avoid UPS.

The CCRA website no longer has anything to do with Customs. You'll have to visit the new Canada Border Services Agency to find Customs info. Most of the relevant info is under the Travellers heading. Subheading worth looking at are "Canadian Residents" and "Postal Imports". As mentioned, you might get a break on U.S.-manufactured goods due to NAFTA. Unfortunately, not all that much audio gear is made in the U.S. these days.

Finally, contrary to what Cor said, marking "gift" on customs forms only appliess if you're receiving items sent by a private individual. The duty-free exemption doesn't apply if the item is sent from a business. Whether or not Canada Customs will diligently check that is a crapshoot - you may get away with it, but then again you may not. Anyway, here's how the "gift" exemption works: If the item is $60 CDN or less in value, then it's duty-free. If it's worth more than $60, then you're only assessed duties on the difference (e.g. a $100 CDN item is assessed duties as if it was $40).

As for declaring lower values on your customs forms to get a break on duties... the only thing to worry about would be if your parcel was lost. The parcel service or post office will hassle you about the discrepancy in the declared and insured value when you or the shipper makes a claim because you have to supply all your shipping documents for evidence of insurance and evidence of value. On the other hand, if it makes it to you in one piece, and you avoid paying a whack of duty, then maybe it's worthwhile. Go for it.
tongue.gif

D.

Mar 6, 2004 at 7:57 AM Post #5 of 9
I got dinged $55 cdn for a pair of $100 USD headphones last month. It was shipped UPS. I think it was $15 customs and $40 brokerage fees.

I hear that if you can go with regular US postal you can save the brokerage fees.

BTW, does anyone know what the heck the brokerage fee are for?

Mar 6, 2004 at 11:30 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by RRX
BTW, does anyone know what the heck the brokerage fee are for?

It's the fee that UPS' in-house customs broker charges to clear your parcel through Canada Customs. As you've found out, it can be outrageously expensive.

Compare it to Canada Post's $5 flat-rate fee to clear your parcel through Customs. If Canada Post can do it for $5, then why does UPS charge as much as $100? (yes, I've been hit with a $100 brokerage fee
mad.gif
)

Obviously, UPS is gouging us. So, if possible, ask the vendor to send your parcel via USPS. At most, you'll have to pay duty plus $5. In the best case scenario, they may charge you nothing since not all postal imports are inspected by Canada Customs.

D.

Mar 6, 2004 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 9
Thanks for all the info, demolition!!

I sent an email to the CCRA, already.. I'll send another to these guys..

I'll make sure I never use an independent courier.. That's for sure..

Mar 6, 2004 at 7:29 PM Post #8 of 9
both eCost.com and etronics.com use a service called borderfree. this means that at checkout, you will get the absaulte FINAL price in canadian dollars before you place your order. so no surprises. i have had good luck with both websites.

Mar 6, 2004 at 8:11 PM Post #9 of 9
That would sure be helpful.. Thanks..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back