Any Feedback re: iBasso LOD
Nov 30, 2009 at 1:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

supern0va

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm thinking of picking up an iBasso amp, and conveniently pick up an iBasso LOD as well. What I have in mind is as below:

2009519222515.jpg

has anyone used it before? How does it compare to similarly priced LODs? Can I find a (much) better deal out there for an LOD?

Just to clarify, I will probably be using the USB DAC (to a MacBook) a little more than the LOD (to an iPhone).

Nov 30, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #2 of 13
I bought one when I got my D10 and find it works well for car connections,etc. You get the usual iPhone message that it's not a supported device and you should turn on airplane mode but I just ignore it.

By the way, does your macbook have a dual headphone/optical out (my macbook pro does). If so, get yourself a toslink cable for connecting the macbook to the iBasso (assuming you get one with optical in). The sound quality is significantly better.

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by stringgz301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought one when I got my D10 and find it works well for car connections,etc. You get the usual iPhone message that it's not a supported device and you should turn on airplane mode but I just ignore it.

By the way, does your macbook have a dual headphone/optical out (my macbook pro does). If so, get yourself a toslink cable for connecting the macbook to the iBasso (assuming you get one with optical in). The sound quality is significantly better.

Nope I'm planning to get either the D2+ or the D4, so won't have the optical in. How does the LOD compare to other LODs (especially the branded ones e.g. ALO)? Is there any perceivable difference in sound?

Nov 30, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #4 of 13
Have a look at the FiiO L1, if size is a factor for you. It's newly released so device compatibility shouldn't be an issue... No idea about SQ on them though
redface.gif

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #5 of 13
actual picture
30aq1bk.jpg

fit snugly on my iPod Classic as compared to some of my inexpensive DIY LODs .. buddies tried and used these on iPhones and iTouch with no problem... i did not perceive SQ degradation due to this LOD

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have a look at the FiiO L1, if size is a factor for you. It's newly released so device compatibility shouldn't be an issue... No idea about SQ on them though
redface.gif

I prefer a tried and tested LOD. Size shouldn't be a factor, especially when the amp isn't that small itself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bass_nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
fit snugly on my iPod Classic as compared to some of my inexpensive DIY LODs .. buddies tried and used these on iPhones and iTouch with no problem... i did not perceive SQ degradation due to this LOD

Thanks for the pic! Really nice! And thanks for the comments.
Have you compared this to other more expensive LODs?

Has anyone else tried the LOD from iBasso?

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by supern0va /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks for the pic! Really nice! And thanks for the comments.
Have you compared this to other more expensive LODs?

Has anyone else tried the LOD from iBasso?

@ supern0va

for decades i've been into lots of expensive and inexpensive cables and terminals from copper to silver.. full size audio to HT to computer to portables ... to cut the long story short, this is (and will be) the most expensive LOD i will ever own as it is already very good as per my requirement
wink_face.gif

YMMV

beerchug.gif

Dec 1, 2009 at 4:43 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by bass_nut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ supern0va

for decades i've been into lots of expensive and inexpensive cables and terminals from copper to silver.. full size audio to HT to computer to portables ... to cut the long story short, this is (and will be) the most expensive LOD i will ever own as it is already very good as per my requirement
wink_face.gif

YMMV

beerchug.gif

thanks
smily_headphones1.gif
sounds good enough. but if poss i'd like to see more opinions. anyone else? i read in some other thread that some of the forum members' LODs are also great work. Is performance comparable for a lower price possibly?

Dec 1, 2009 at 5:26 PM Post #9 of 13
as per my observation there is minimal (if any) improvement through wires/cables lest installed wires/cables were serving as resistors (very thin and very poor quality) than conductors... i would rather focus on source and source playback first, then very good transducers.. then audio gears between these ... well, it is just me

good luck
beerchug.gif

Dec 3, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 13
The flat cable crinkles, and nothing can be done about it, unless you have a flat surface and HEAVY weight of some kind that are the exact length of the cable.
The cable looks a little nice than in those pics, and the grip on the 3.5mm is a removable rubber ring, not plastic.
Here's a pic I took:
img0567c.jpg

Dec 3, 2009 at 1:24 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by P4Z /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The flat cable crinkles, and nothing can be done about it, unless you have a flat surface and HEAVY weight of some kind that are the exact length of the cable.
The cable looks a little nice than in those pics, and the grip on the 3.5mm is a removable rubber ring, not plastic.

Thanks P4Z. Aesthetics aside, how does this cable perform?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back