Any external volume control i can buy?
Jul 27, 2006 at 4:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

mtbaird5687

100+ Head-Fier
I have a 2.1 desktop setup that doesnt have an external knob or anythign to control the sound. This gets annoying when im in a game or something and i cant alt tab and the keyboard sound control doesnt always work.

anyonne know of a little knob i can use as a pass through or anythign to change the volume. Something like a small cmoy, but it doesnt need to amplify or anything.

Something that just controls the volume not through the comptuer software.

Thanks

Jul 27, 2006 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 5
Maybe your current keyboards volume buttons.

EDIT: Sorry didn't read closely enough, but normally kbd knobs should work well. Also, if you're running SP2 or MCE you can set the volume table (registry) to get smoother control.

jiitee

Jul 27, 2006 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 5
I could be dead wrong on this (and if so I trust someone will correct me), but I think an inline volume attenuator designed for headphones would probably do the trick. Just plug the attenuator into your soundcard where you ordinarily plug in your speakers, then plug the speaker plug into the 1/8 jack on the attenuator. You should be able to adjust volume with the thumbwheel, at least to some extent.

This asumes your soundcard is near you (like on a laptop). If it's not, then you would need a long miniplug to miniplug analogue cable to run from your card to the attenuator, so that you could position it in a convenient place. You can pick up a cheap one from radio shack, and a cheap one is all you would need for an application like this.

Here's an attenuator Shure sells for about $15:
http://www.shurestore.com/earphones/...attenuator.jpg

I've never tried this, so I can give you no assurance that it would work, but I'm sure somebody on this forum will know.

Jul 27, 2006 at 6:27 PM Post #4 of 5
hmm yea that would work. i might end up doing that, thanks for the link.

i would have to buy a 1/8 male to 1/8 female and i dont know how pricey those are but ill check

Jul 28, 2006 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 5
I've wanted one of these for a while

Here

EDIT: Sorry, just realized you wanted a non-software controled device. You've gotta admit, this is still a cool device!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back