any experience with the Douk U2 - XMOS U208 based USB to SPDIF converter ?
Apr 12, 2020 at 4:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

shadowlord

100+ Head-Fier
Does anybody have any experience with the Douk / Nobsound U2 ?

i'm looking for a USB to SPDIF converter to connect an older DAC to my PC.

(I'm not quite trusting the toslink out of my onboard realtek ALC887

Jul 26, 2020 at 8:01 PM Post #2 of 8
dunno, looks good

Topping D10 has been measured over at AudioScience, apparently works as well as Schiit Eitr, now discontinued selling for $150+ when they come up on eBay.

Most cost effective option is probably just choosing a replacement DAC really getting crazy cheap but good these days.

I would look for the XMOS chips for the USB input, but there might be newer better implementations these days.

SPDIF can have its own problems, and every time you convert…

Aug 30, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #3 of 8
Thanks John,

did not see your reply here for some time.

I'm now indeed using a Topping D10 for it's digital output and it works well.

Jun 28, 2021 at 6:29 PM Post #4 of 8
any news?

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #6 of 8
I picked up the U2 PRO, for 56$ on amazon. Im quite impressed with it. I have an RME ADI-2 DAC FS, i recently switched to Apple Music, and wanted the ability to hook up my dac directly to iphone though USB, but also leave my PC attached, so this required me to use spdif input from PC. The interface works perfectly, right out of the box, native windows drivers detect it immediately and wasapi bit perfect works great. As for sound quality, this is a little harder to quantify simply because the ADI-2 Dac FS has absolutely steller inputs on all accounts. Steady Clock has been long perfected, I can't hear any difference in output between COAX from the U2 PRO and direct USB input from either PC or Apple Music. If you have a lower quality dac with a lesser quality coax input who knows.

Sep 1, 2021 at 6:20 PM Post #8 of 8
If I use an iMac as the source, can the USB cable alone power the U2 PRO? Or does it need a wall wart?
Power supply is useful for redirecting ground loops. However it works fine on bus power, testing right now, not everything is right.

I encountered problem while playing DSD DoP on Coax. DSD light comes on, but playing music with noise. It turns out that the same happens when playing PCM 176.4kHz, while 192kHz plays fine. Will report back in the thread linked above.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back