Any Elliott Smith fans?
Nov 5, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #2 of 9
I think he's desperately underated, in the UK at least. Sadly he came into my radar far too late and I've only got his posthumous New Moon album. Supposedly a collection of demos and rejects but the quality throughout is extraordinary.

Nov 5, 2007 at 4:55 PM Post #3 of 9
Elliott Smith is amongst my favourite artists of all time.

Either/Or is in my top 5 favourite albums.

Whenever I play him for someone who has never heard, they are always receptive and become fans quite quickly.

I would consider him one of the most underrated artists ever IMO, and I would agree with your title of best songwriter.

Double tracked vocals are genius, and his tone is perfect for his style.

Nov 5, 2007 at 6:56 PM Post #4 of 9
I have to be in the mood to hear his music, I have to be in a down mood. I have either/or. It took a while to grow on me. I think I might pick up New Moon.

Nov 6, 2007 at 2:57 PM Post #5 of 9
funny, i was listening to his b-sides & rarities when i stumbled on this thread.
great, great songwriter, and no slouch on an acoustic.
i think i'm drawn to tormented souls.

Nov 8, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #6 of 9
I first heard about him on Goodwill Hunting...I loved the song so much I bought a few of his CD's and went from there. Now I own everything by him, and I love almost all of it. Some songs I'm not super-fond of, but that's not to say they aren't listenable. I love his stuff, but prepared to be put in a 'down' mood if you aren't when you start listening :/

My favorite CD is Figure 8.

Nov 8, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #8 of 9
He was a pretty unique musician in his field. His tunings were impressively unique, but I never could get into his voice or his "high school drama" lyrics. I sincerely respect him as a musician, but you'll never see me spinning his discs.

Nov 8, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
He was a pretty unique musician in his field. His tunings were impressively unique, but I never could get into his voice or his "high school drama" lyrics. I sincerely respect him as a musician, but you'll never see me spinning his discs.

X2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back