Any eggo owners? $10. pads and a free storage bag!
Apr 13, 2005 at 6:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

BowerR64

1000+ Head-Fier
I got in these eggphones today that other eggo fan posted. I got my set in today and the pleather pads will fit the sony eggos and are large enough to fit comfortably. Comes with a velvit draw string storage case that could be useful aswell. They cost me $9.99 with free shipping now i got new pads and a new case for my good eggos. Ill probobly put the old sony pads on the eggphones and let my dog have em.
eggosmile.gif

The eggphones would be good for a kid, they dont get real loud, have decent bass and are cheap if they are smashed by a dump truck. Other then that rob the pads and case throw the res away.

attachment.php

In the picture, left is stock eggphones pad, right is the sony pleather pads like from a D77 or a D22

Apr 13, 2005 at 7:11 PM Post #2 of 8
IMHO its rediculouls what manufacturers charge for OEM replacement pads.

Good Find!!!
Garrett

Apr 14, 2005 at 12:56 AM Post #4 of 8
BoweR64 - I'd like to know how these pads compare to the pleather pads that come with the Sony's. I don't like these pads nearly as much as my fuzzy pads that are stock on the D66's. I'd like some nice pleather pads, because I think they'd be more comfortable and more durable, but if they are comparable to the Eggphones pads I want nothing to do with them. I wore them for a while today and they got somewhat sticky.

I really like the Eggphones for $10 I think they are a great deal especially, as BoweR64 said, for a kid. Probably high school or less or someone that isn't really into headphones, and likes bass. I think with some EQ'ing they can sound decent (at least better than comparably priced headphones). This is what I have set up for them on iTunes:

eggphones3xg.jpg

These things have huge bass (try listening to Mos Def - I Against I), but are pretty muffled in the midrange. With some EQ'ing in the mids come out a little more. I found that the Dance EQ on the iPod sounded pretty good, but a little hollow and sometimes clips in the bass range. Overall these would be pretty good for someone used to headphones that come with their music players, or if your Eggo pads are totally shot they're a relly cheap replacement.

Here's my Review of them:

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=113955

Apr 14, 2005 at 4:22 AM Post #5 of 8
IMO they are the same pads, they look the same, feel the same and fit just as tight around the cup. They are new right now so they are a little more firm and not stretched.

Im gona order 2 more to have some extra pads.
eggosmile.gif

The fuzzy D66 pads are ok but they dont seem to seal as well as the pleather. Im use to the pleather, its usualy pretty cool in my house so i dont notice the sweat.

Ive had my D77 since 1995 and its the only set of headphones ive ever used. When they started to short out thats when i came here. Now im an eggo nut
tongue.gif

Apr 14, 2005 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 8
My Eggphone pads do not seem as well made as the D66 'fuzzy' pads. The D66 pads have a nice solid edge that easily slides into the slot around the earcup. The Eggphones have the edge, but it seems poorly made, and I had a very difficult time getting them back on the Eggphones, tearing some of the 'edge' away from the rest of the pad. The 'edge' is what gives the pad the tension to stay in the slot. I have to use a knife edge to work the Eggphone pad back on well enough to look decent. They still don't seem to fit (the Eggphones) as well as the fuzzy pads fit (the D66's). I was hoping for something more like the feeling of the D66 'fuzzy' pads turned inside out (but without the stitching). The Eggphone pads' pleather seems much thinner than the pleather on the underside of the D66 pads. Also, my Eggphone pads are much more squared-off than my D66 pads, which are fairly rounded. I don't know if this is because they were pushed together while in the packaging or what, but it's somewhat uneven in some areas.

Overall, they'd be a good replacement, but I think I would prefer the stock D66 pads over the Eggphones pads any day.

BowerR64 - How would you rate the overall quality of the Eggphones pads vs. the stock D22, 33, 55, 77 pads?

Sep 21, 2005 at 8:51 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by xluben
My Eggphone pads do not seem as well made as the D66 'fuzzy' pads. The D66 pads have a nice solid edge that easily slides into the slot around the earcup. The Eggphones have the edge, but it seems poorly made, and I had a very difficult time getting them back on the Eggphones, tearing some of the 'edge' away from the rest of the pad. The 'edge' is what gives the pad the tension to stay in the slot. I have to use a knife edge to work the Eggphone pad back on well enough to look decent. They still don't seem to fit (the Eggphones) as well as the fuzzy pads fit (the D66's). I was hoping for something more like the feeling of the D66 'fuzzy' pads turned inside out (but without the stitching). The Eggphone pads' pleather seems much thinner than the pleather on the underside of the D66 pads. Also, my Eggphone pads are much more squared-off than my D66 pads, which are fairly rounded. I don't know if this is because they were pushed together while in the packaging or what, but it's somewhat uneven in some areas.

Overall, they'd be a good replacement, but I think I would prefer the stock D66 pads over the Eggphones pads any day.

BowerR64 - How would you rate the overall quality of the Eggphones pads vs. the stock D22, 33, 55, 77 pads?

THe D22 come stock with the pleather pads and i cant tell the difference, infact i dont even remember wich cans i put them on. I got em all mixed up now and cant tell. Mine went on fine, when you take the pads off and on as much as i have of the past year you get a nack for it and then its pretty smooth. They kinda rolled on for me. I had the problem you had in the begining because i was afraid i would reip the stitching or somthing but i found they are more durable then you think. Sept for the stock sony pleather it seams flakey like paint or somthing. Once air forms under the pleather it starts to peal like a blister.

If you search around i made another post where some sony pleather pads are soft fuzzy under the pleather. You can use tweasers and pick at the pleather and peal it all off and you then have a pair of D66 pads. Ive done it and they came out saweeeet!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back