Any easy fix for Realtek HD onboard electrical noise (HDD etc activity)
Nov 13, 2011 at 10:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

RPGWiZaRD

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there any easy fix for this, if using my amp the electronical noise issues gets worse, especially with the sensitive XB500 headphones. Playing Skyrim forced me to use Realtek onboard as I had trouble with volume levels on my other soundcard. Gets annoying browsing around the net when u keep hearing this noise so often etc.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #2 of 20

1- Disable all inputs, in Audio Devices/Control Panel (or something like that)

2- Be sure to connect the computer and the amplifier in a same solid grounded outlet

AFAIK,  there´s no easy fix to eletronical noise.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:43 PM Post #3 of 20

Quote:

1- Disable all inputs, in Audio Devices/Control Panel (or something like that)

2- Be sure to connect the computer and the amplifier in a same solid grounded outlet

AFAIK,  there´s no easy fix to eletronical noise.

1. Yea tested. No change. I read about some older Realtek chips having PC beep speaker volume setting which seemed to fix it for most people now it looks like they've removed it, at least I don't have it. :xf_mad:

2. Unfortunately the wall sockets aren't grounded upstairs in my room. ;( 

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:33 AM Post #4 of 20

Quote:

2. Unfortunately the wall sockets aren't grounded upstairs in my room. ;( 

Even so, if the noise is generated by a "ground loop",  if you touch the amplifier and the computer chassis at the same time, should decrease the problem.  There´s a lot of material about "ground loops" in the net.

Nov 15, 2011 at 6:47 AM Post #5 of 20
Tested that but nope, didn't do any difference. So I suppose it's just the internal electricity flow in the motherboard which is the prob and the noise gets amplified. When not using the amp it's not really that noticable.

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #7 of 20
I agree with andkore.

EMI and latency have oddly similar solutions, to an extent. And even if your BIOS doesn't allow for EIST tweaking, you can do it within Windows. But basically you want to disable power management settings, just be careful not to disable system devices that will prevent your machine from booting.

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #8 of 20
Yea I've disabled all those options from day one as I've got an overclocked system. Since I moved to Q40 headphones it become much less of an issue though, hardly audible so not bothering me atm.

Feb 17, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #9 of 20
It's important to note that not all motherboards allow for full power management tweaking, which oddly can be set on a high level process within an OS.

But how is your system performing now?

And what is that that I read somewhere around here that you had issues with your Audigy 2? :frowning2:

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #11 of 20

Quote:
It's important to note that not all motherboards allow for full power management tweaking, which oddly can be set on a high level process within an OS.

But how is your system performing now?

And what is that that I read somewhere around here that you had issues with your Audigy 2? :frowning2:

Yea it's set to "full power" or whatever it is in windows too. Nah the Audigy 2 ZS doesn't have issues but I noticed when starting to use 5.1 speaker mode with the Realtek chip there was nothing to lose going to Realtek HD ALC889A chip, it actually has better sound quality and has a very neutral balance etc (think something in-between Titanium HD which is quite warm and ASUS Xonar cards slightly more analytical/bright), really liking how it sounds like but yea it could be less "noisy" though. ^^ A few years ago I couldn't stand Realtek onboard sound but this ALC889 chip sounds bloody good to me for being onboard, it just needs some amping though to get good results obviously.

Quote:
Just use the rear output.

Yea I am, I don't use a computer case btw so don't have any "front" jacks to plug into anyway xD but would the missing "anti-static"/ground plate cover that's meant to be at the I/O panel worsen this issue perhaps?

Feb 17, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #13 of 20

Quote:
..is there any specific reason you don't just move to a soundcard or external DAC?

I bought both Titanium HD and ASUS Xonar D2 to compare but wasn't happy with either of them for different reasons and didn't think they were worth the money. It would need to be a soundcard though or anything that has an EQ with it. But since I'm getting very good results here in this Realtek chip and it seems to work great for gaming as long as speaker mode 5.1 is used, otherwise it may lack in positioning though but it does support Dolby Headphone but I don't like the muffled sound it brings (and since it lacks the channel configuration possibilites as you can with foobar2000 plugins I can't get good results out of the DH mode).

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:20 PM Post #14 of 20
I use a Gigabyte Motherboard with a 889 Realtek onboard chip. Not bad, but I had a problem when I plugged my cans (Sennheiser HD 438) in the blue output, there was no bass at all! Problem was solved when I used the black output. Did you already tried using another output?

Feb 17, 2012 at 7:23 PM Post #15 of 20

Quote:
I use a Gigabyte Motherboard with a 889 Realtek onboard chip. Not bad, but I had a problem when I plugged my cans (Sennheiser HD 438) in the blue output, there was no bass at all! Problem was solved when I used the black output. Did you already tried using another output?

Umm, green jack is the one meant for headphones, black is almost the same but yea green is recommended one. Get best result with green here. Blue isn't meant to be used like that, that's for line-in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back