Any earbuds <$150 come close to Koss Portapro?
Jan 30, 2006 at 2:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

StefanReindl

New Head-Fier
I currently own a pair of Koss Portapros and I have been extremely pleased with them. However, I have just bought an iPod and I'm looking for some earbuds so I can simply wrap the whole deal up and put it in my pocket rather than having to wear the Kosses around my neck.

Are there any earbuds under $150 that come close (or outdo) the Portapros? I'm not a huge bass freak (I listen to mostly metal, and some classical [i.e. Vivaldi], rock, funk and techno from time to time), but I feel I am accustomed to the Portapros immense bass.

I have been looking at Etys as they are within my price range and get (generally) good reviews. Comments? Recommendations?

Jan 30, 2006 at 2:08 AM Post #3 of 15
Earbuds or IEMS?

There are a ton of IEMS that offer better sound quality than the Portapro ( E4,E5, UM2, ER4P/S, etc, etc ). But when it comes to earbuds it's pretty limited; mainly consisting of the Audio-Technica line.

I remember back when the Ety E4RP/S was pretty much the only IEM available.. oh how times have changed
confused.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 2:24 AM Post #7 of 15
Super.fi 3s make a good first step into IEMs, comfortable, good sound, cheap. If you like strong bass, go for the 5s. ER-6 are great, but take real getting used to.

For a really neat package, just get some hd280s and stick the DAP in the ear cup when it's not in use.
580smile.gif

Jan 30, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #8 of 15
If you really are looking for buds, I have a pair of the Audio Technica CM7ti earbuds and I love them. If you press them against your ears with the foamies on and create somewhat of a seal they have fantasic bass. The problem is that you won't being doing this as you move around with them, so yes, the bass is lacking when they just sit on your ears. As far as the mids and highs go, I would almost (I said almost) compare them with my Etymotic ER4Ps. The seperation is clear and crisp, and the bass is there depending on how well they are positioned in your ear.

The main thing I like about them is that they aren't IEMs, meaning that it isn't a chore to put them in or take them out, it's all bang-bang (and no dirty tips and no cleaning filters, etc.)

They go for about $125 on the net.

Jan 30, 2006 at 3:13 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spaceage
If you really are looking for buds, I have a pair of the Audio Technica CM7ti earbuds and I love them. If you press them against your ears with the foamies on and create somewhat of a seal they have fantasic bass. The problem is that you won't being doing this as you move around with them, so yes, the bass is lacking when they just sit on your ears. As far as the mids and highs go, I would almost (I said almost) compare them with my Etymotic ER4Ps. The seperation is clear and crisp, and the bass is there depending on how well they are positioned in your ear.

They go for about $125 on the net.

I like the look for these. Definately like the idea of a 0.6m cord and titanium housing sound like a good idea. Still not too sure about the bass though. In an earbud, is a 15.5mm driver exceptionally large?

Jan 30, 2006 at 3:38 AM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by StefanReindl
I like the look for these. Definately like the idea of a 0.6m cord and titanium housing sound like a good idea. Still not too sure about the bass though. In an earbud, is a 15.5mm driver exceptionally large?

The only pair of quality sounding buds I can compare it to is the Sony MDR-E888 earbuds, which have a 16mm driver. The Sony's had very good sound as well, decent bass with some snug foamies on them, but did get a little tinny at times. They left bud blew on them after about 1 year of use, as seems to happen with every pair of Sony headphones I ever buy (hence the Audio Technica purchase.)

As I said, when I press the ATs against my ears, the bass is fantasic. Its all about getting a nice snug fit with with a pair of foamies. I bought a few pairs of "Funky" earpads from Sumajin awhile back and have been satisfied with the bass.

If you absolutely need pounding bass, go for an IEM (not Etymotic).

Jan 30, 2006 at 10:59 PM Post #15 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by StefanReindl
I haven't seen any recommendations for IEMs here other than Etys. Anyone?

Do a quick search for IEMs using the forum search functions. You'll find lots of comparisons and recommendations for many different IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back