Any Drupal geeks out there?
Nov 15, 2010 at 10:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Tyll Hertsens

Garmentus Vulgaris & Headphoneus Supremus
Member of the Trade: Innerfidelity
Wow! Drupal. What an amazing tool!

I really can't believe software this cool is out there and available for free.
Long live Open Source!

Anyway, curious to hear about your experiences with it.

ear.gif

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #2 of 8
Wow, I had no idea something like that was out there. I don't build websites, but I will pass this on to a friend who is making one for his Dad. 

Thanks! 

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #3 of 8
Just so you know, it's a powerful and complex tool. Wordpress and the like are a little simpler to set up.

But if your friend is very computer savey, it may well be worth his time to learn.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:41 AM Post #4 of 8
I used to use Joomla!/Mambo, but ever since the latest versions of Joomla! I switched to Drupal. Good stuff. Joomla! just got to be too much for me.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:46 AM Post #5 of 8
I've not looked into Joomla too much.  It just seemed like Drupal was the more serious (read steeper learning curve, but suweet features) tool to develop a custom site.

Nov 15, 2010 at 11:47 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
I've not looked into Joomla too much.  It just seemed like Drupal was the more serious (read steeper learning curve, but suweet features) tool to develop a custom site.

That's pretty much the case. Joomla! can be equally extensible at times, but it's certainly more of a plug and play solution than Drupal. Drupal is easily heavily modified without a lot of digging, whereas Joomla! requires lots of digging in the technical bits to find what you need to modify, because of its huge code base.

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #7 of 8
What I'm constantly amazed at is the number of modules and features you can add into the thing that actually work and play nice together.

I've only stumbled across one little bug so far. Pretty amazing considering the amount of code running on free stuff. (Apache, mySQL, PHP, Drupal.) I had my doubts going in, but I'm pretty convinced now that the whole "Open Source" thing is amazingly productive.

I'm a believer.

Nov 15, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
What I'm constantly amazed at is the number of modules and features you can add into the thing that actually work and play nice together.

I've only stumbled across one little bug so far. Pretty amazing considering the amount of code running on free stuff. (Apache, mySQL, PHP, Drupal.) I had my doubts going in, but I'm pretty convinced now that the whole "Open Source" thing is amazingly productive.

I'm a believer.

It's amazing what us humans can do with a little effort each to help each other rather than solely for cash.  
beerchug.gif

Just some of the OSS I use:

Apache
VLC
Pidgin
OpenOffice/LibreOffice
Python
Virtualbox
FileZilla
Audacity
Web stuff: SMF, Joomla!, Coppermine, Drupal, MooTools, Kompozer

Users who are viewing this thread