Any difference in Gold vs. Non Gold Connectors?
post-1441781
Post #1 of 5

RobDMB

New Head-Fier
Reaction score
I was just wondering if there is any actual difference between cables with gold connector jacks and cables with the normal silver ends. Thanks

post-1442701
Post #2 of 5

adhoc

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
connectors are usually gold-plated to improve their resistance to oxidation.

'silver connectors' may be made from or plated with a whole range of metals - anything from rhodium to nickel to plain steel.

fwiw, while i've never heard anyone here distinguish connectors sonically, i would go with gold-plated on account of the oxidation resistance it provides alone.

post-1442767
Post #3 of 5

braillediver

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
You don’t really give enough details. Gold connectors in and of them selves don’t do much except they don’t oxidize.

A good quality connector will be better than a cheap connector that’s gold plated. Some gold plating will be better than others, the actual material the connector is made of is more important than just being gold plated. The physical design of the connector is more important than the gold plating.

Plus gold can be plated on so thin that it doesn’t actually add to the cost it just improves the appearance.

Mitch

post-1442881
Post #4 of 5

rickcr42

Are YOU talkin' to me?
Reaction score
yeah cost mainly.A lot of gold connectors are no better than nickel plated connectors which will not corrode either though many have a horse *** dielectric.

any of the "hardplate" shiny metal connectors are fine if from a known manufactuere.It is the generics that get you into trouble and even though have a flash plating of gold are many times no better than the el cheapos at radio shack with no speacial plating

post-1446923
Post #5 of 5

kuma

Headphoneus Supremus
Reaction score
Different connectors have various impedance/sound.

In general, it is said to be better to match to the same con where the cables are plugged into. Meaning if the sockets are gold-plated, use gold-plated cables and so on. ( I think this is something to do with keeping the impedance low )

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)