Any Denon DCD-S10II user here?
Sep 27, 2005 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

mfhboy

New Head-Fier
Anyone can tell the DAC of S10II is about what level of modern DAC? My Dad has a S10II with a broken CD-driver but the DAC part is still working. I'm looking for a DAC and a headphone amp right now. How is the headphone out of S10II? If the S10II is cool then I 'll just pick it up and save some money at this moment.

edit: here is the spec

No. of Channels: 2 channels
Frequency Response: 2 ~ 20,000 Hz
Dynamic Range: 100 dB
Signal-to-noise Ratio: 118 dB
Harmonic Distortion: 0.0018 % (1 kHz)
Separation: 110 dB (1 kHz)
Wow & Flutter: Below measurable limit: (± 0.001 % W. peak)
Output Voltage: FIXED 2.0 V

Sep 27, 2005 at 9:56 AM Post #2 of 7
It's not necessary to have the exact model for you to comment. Any Denon CDP with headphone out could also be great reference for my situation. Thanks

So my original post has 2 questions
1:how is the DAC?
2:how is the headphone out

Sep 27, 2005 at 9:35 PM Post #3 of 7
I've never heard of this unit...

...Is it rack-mounted?

Sep 28, 2005 at 6:08 AM Post #5 of 7
hi mfhboy,

I've bought the MkI recently but it's at the Denon Service Center now as I'm replacing the faulty servo IC. Probably will get it back in a week's time. If you don't mind waiting ...

IIRC, your S10 MkII should have:
- Dual transformers, possibly with one serving the analog output stage
- 4 x PCM1702 20bits DACs, 2 per channel
- Elna Silmic Caps
- Headphone Out (can't remember the existing opamp but can be changed to OPA627)
- Motorised Volume Control (controls both headphone and CDP volume)
- Copper plates around the entire chassis

Can't remember the rest ...

Sep 28, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks OAK, I don't have an optical cable so I can't try it myself. The Spec seems not bad since it has 4 x PCM1702. I will wait for your review about the headphone out. It looks decent u know. BTW how much a properly working S10II asking for?
eggosmile.gif

Sep 28, 2005 at 1:39 PM Post #7 of 7
mfhboy,

I'm from Singapore and not too long ago, an S-10 MkII was sold for S$650 or around 375USD in the local forum. This may not be a good gauge as it only applies to my local market, where such players are pretty much sought after.

I understand that Pioneer and Denon players are actively traded in the European market but may not be so in the States.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back