Any dark Mozart...
Jan 11, 2008 at 11:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Caribou679

1000+ Head-Fier
hi!

I'd like to listen to some dark Mozart.

I consider the concerto for piano #24 as having some dark attributes , as well as the the Don Giovani overture.

I'd like some pompous ,"serious" stuff" , (even if it hisses and has crick-cracks from old recordings or something) I would prefer stereo over mono but still I could agree with the mono. Of course under cd format.

Many concertos for flute or piano or violin have this airy, fun aspect, very light etc, like the serenades and like La Petite Musique de Nuit K. 525 (Eine kleine Nachtmusik). This is definitively not what I am looking for...

I listened to one interpretation of the Requiem and it did not click with me.

Any suggestions ?

regards,

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:56 AM Post #2 of 11
Piano Cto 20 (Brendel and Mackerras performing), and of course the requiem (Harnoncourt if you want really dark).

Jan 12, 2008 at 1:50 AM Post #3 of 11
Indeed the darkest of the operas is Don Giovanni, and it gets obviously bleaker as it goes along. The darkest of the piano concertos is 24, which is almost Beethovian in its toughness, but the more reflective 27 has its unhappy undertones. 20 is tough minded and bleak also. The clarinet concerto is largely melancholy beneath its surface beauty. Of the symphonies, 25 and 40 are hardly happy works. Chamber music - try the A minor Piano Sonata K310, or the String Quintet K516.

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:28 AM Post #4 of 11
Wow. People on the music forums are fast. I was hoping that i'd be the first to suggest paino concertos 20 and 24. I don't have a good version so trust zuma and ty. great music.

Jan 12, 2008 at 3:13 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Chamber music - try the A minor Piano Sonata K310, or the String Quintet K516.

You beat me to recommending the quintet-that would be my top choice after symphony 40 and concertos 20 and 24.

Also
Fantasia in C minor K475
Adagio in B minor K540
Adagio and Fugue for String Quartet in C minor K546

For the two string works, this set is great. It is two cds for $14. It features an augmented Grumiaux trio and the Quartetto Italiano. These are high quality stereo recordings from the '60s. You also get, among other things, the glass harmonica quintet, Mozart's last chamber work, which though unrelated to this topic, is quite interesting. It is not an instrument one hears frequently.

Jan 12, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #6 of 11
A contrary thought for symphonies is that Haydn goes darker than anything by Mozart, within the same kind of classical sensibility. Get a boxed set of the Sturm und Drang Symphonies, or find individually symphonies like 26, 44, 45, and 49. 44 is maybe Haydn's best symphony - he wanted its slow movement played at his own funeral.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:54 PM Post #8 of 11

Users who are viewing this thread

Back