Any DAP that Can Work with USB DACs (USB In or Coaxial In)?
Nov 14, 2016 at 1:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

darkarn

1000+ Head-Fier
Sorry mods, please help lock this; I just realised this is better put in other sections
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi, just wondering, is there any DAP that can work with USB DACs?

The idea is to have something portable that can be used in shops to audition headphones, amps and USB DACs. Currently I am using my handphone (Sony Xperia Z3C), which I don't think can power any higher-end headphones properly and also not work with some of the USB DACs in the market.

For budget, I am thinking of spending 300 SGD at most (slightly higher is ok as long justifiable)

Thanks!

Nov 14, 2016 at 3:24 AM Post #2 of 6
A notebook computer would seem to offer what you need.
Find a good deal on a used one.

Nov 14, 2016 at 4:57 AM Post #4 of 6
  Hi, just wondering, is there any DAP that can work with USB DACs?

The idea is to have something portable that can be used in shops to audition headphones, amps and USB DACs. Currently I am using my handphone (Sony Xperia Z3C), which I don't think can power any higher-end headphones properly and also not work with some of the USB DACs in the market.

For budget, I am thinking of spending 300 SGD at most (slightly higher is ok as long justifiable)

Thanks!

The whole idea behind DAPs is they are already suppose to sound good as stand alone audio players.
If they were in need of an add-on DAC/amp, no one would bother buying one in the first place.
Also an external USB-DAC/amp would drain the DAP's battery even faster
Ans it cost time and money to include a feature on a DAP that allows it to work with a USB-DAC/amp.
So the chance of you finding a DAP that works with USB-DAC/amps, seems like a waste of time.

Your 300 SGD (Sinapore) cash is about equal to $211 USD, not sure if you can find  a decent notebook, at that price.

Nov 18, 2016 at 7:22 AM Post #5 of 6
A notebook computer would seem to offer what you need.
Find a good deal on a used one.

I am planning to get a new laptop since mine's 5 years old and I need something a bit more powerful but portable. I am not getting it now though

Have you tried USB Audio Player in your phone?
The Shanling M1 can be paired with an USB DAC.

I tried the Shanling M1, it didn't work as mentioned in the M1 thread unfortunately.

The whole idea behind DAPs is they are already suppose to sound good as stand alone audio players.
If they were in need of an add-on DAC/amp, no one would bother buying one in the first place.
Also an external USB-DAC/amp would drain the DAP's battery even faster
Ans it cost time and money to include a feature on a DAP that allows it to work with a USB-DAC/amp.
So the chance of you finding a DAP that works with USB-DAC/amps, seems like a waste of time.

Your 300 SGD (Sinapore) cash is about equal to $211 USD, not sure if you can find  a decent notebook, at that price.

Thanks! You have good points there, maybe I should rethink this a little

Nov 20, 2016 at 4:48 AM Post #6 of 6
Ok, I thought it through.

Let's go for a compromise: Will it make sense for me to go for DAPs that have coaxial output (and the usual Headphones and Line Out ports)?

This is so as considering that I am upgrading my DAC from an Audinst HUD-MX1, which is an entry-level model, practically any USB DAC that I will be auditioning from here on will have a very chance of having a Coaxial In too. And I also noticed that many (non entry level) DAPs now have Coaxial Out too.

I am eyeing the option of waiting for Fiio X3 Gen 3 or Fiio X5 Gen 3 in 2017 or grabbing a second-hand iBasso DX50 (and then Rockbox it).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back