Any Dacs under 300 that sound close to the Bit Frost?
Apr 10, 2012 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

genclaymore

Headphoneus Supremus
Are there any Dac's under the 300 dollar range which either sound like the bit frost or close to it? I originally planned to use the Xonar DG that I got cheap as a Digital Transport into a Bit Frost that I was gonna save for. Plans changed when the DG blocks the intake fans of my video card. Which in turn makes it get hot. So I was hoping there was Alt Dacs I could get asap, so I wouldn't have to use my trashy onboard audio til I get enough for a External Dac.

I Dont fancy the DG being in the front of the video card making it get way too hot, do the placement of the PCI slots in my mobo.

Apr 12, 2012 at 2:18 AM Post #2 of 6
If you have on-board optical output , why bother buying another sound card? Once that information is transported out , its done and dealt with. I use my Realtek as a transport for optical information with no real problems to speak of. 

Seriously the difference from using on-board optical transport to using a dedicated sound card's optical transport is entirely fractional at best.

Apr 12, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #4 of 6
If you have on-board optical output , why bother buying another sound card? Once that information is transported out , its done and dealt with. I use my Realtek as a transport for optical information with no real problems to speak of. 

Seriously the difference from using on-board optical transport to using a dedicated sound card's optical transport is entirely fractional at best.

@darknova I dont own a external Dac yet, I had a X-FI HD PCI-E but I Had to sell it as I needed the funds for something else. I already know that digital out on a sound card and on board audio is the same. I bought this DG for 19 dollars as I needed a sound card as my on-board audio is trash. The Matrix M-Stage do not have a digital input. I was gonna use the DG til I saved up enough money for a better sound card. I thought about a external dac now because I wanted to move to one. Plus i could use the DG since i have it for it features and pass them down thru Digital into the dac. Tho if I did get a NFB-12 i would take out the DG.

@Sjay I did thought about the Audio-GD Dac or the NFB-12 as a dac, The major issue with ordering from Audio-GD is the fact their's a chance of getting hit with a custom fee. Packages from EMS/Postal mail goes directly to the main office, if there any custom fees on the package. The manager will not accept the package. So it would in up going back to audio-GD. Sure I could try to buy it used on the forum as they still have warranty, since I talked to Kingwa the first time I was thinking about his gear. It just if something was to happen. The shipping outta the usa to rma would cost a lot of money.

I just read that I would have to use Asio4all if I wanted any kind of asio function on audio-gd NFB-12 usb connection, ASio4all never worked right for me so I hope that is not true. ASIO supported dac is a very important for me , not for music playback but music recording. Any Alts that fit what I looking for while having ASIO in their drivers would be nice while of course being under 300.

Apr 14, 2012 at 5:21 PM Post #5 of 6
How would the Emotiva XDA-1 And Audio Engine D1 compare, also would either one give me the sound signature I looking for or closed to it.

Apr 15, 2012 at 2:47 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
@Sjay I did thought about the Audio-GD Dac or the NFB-12 as a dac, The major issue with ordering from Audio-GD is the fact their's a chance of getting hit with a custom fee. Packages from EMS/Postal mail goes directly to the main office, if there any custom fees on the package. The manager will not accept the package. So it would in up going back to audio-GD. Sure I could try to buy it used on the forum as they still have warranty, since I talked to Kingwa the first time I was thinking about his gear. It just if something was to happen. The shipping outta the usa to rma would cost a lot of money.
I just read that I would have to use Asio4all if I wanted any kind of asio function on audio-gd NFB-12 usb connection, ASio4all never worked right for me so I hope that is not true. ASIO supported dac is a very important for me , not for music playback but music recording. Any Alts that fit what I looking for while having ASIO in their drivers would be nice while of course being under 300.

i am pretty sure a-gd repays shipping costs during the cover period so thats a non issue if it needs repairs, as for customs taxes i am not sure how it works over there but here in australia everything under 1000.00 is gst exempt so my nfb2 sailed through.

fyi now that i have fully upgraded my front end and speakers, i am looking for a DAC to replace the nfb2 so it can move to be bedroom with the lyr and i can have something that matches the MF/PMC kit i now own but to get something thats a real step up from an nfb2 seems to be $1500+++ , goes to show what stellar value these are IMHO

Users who are viewing this thread

Back