Any CPE Bach CD recommendations?
Dec 9, 2005 at 3:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

SiBurning

1000+ Head-Fier
Just got a CD of Mikhael Pletnev doing CPE Bach on piano. Stupid mistake getting it on piano. Also got Trevor Pinock doing symphonies. I've never heard his symphonies before, but love them. His small ensemble stuff is what I like best, though. Since I don't seem to have great luck picking music lately, any other recommendations for CPE Bach?

Dec 9, 2005 at 4:25 AM Post #2 of 8
An excellent sampler disk is the one labelled Symphonies & Concertos by the Akademie fur Alte Musik Berlin, out on Harmoni Mundi. Very alert playing that plays up the madness in the music well.

From here you might try specific collections such as the Symphonies Wq183 performed by Ton Koopman and the Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra. These symphonies are the equal of the Wq182 set you have by Pinnock, and play with a similar disordered intensity.

The 3 cello concertos - Leonhardt, Bylsma and the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment is a good version - are "well known" as far as this music is known at all, and are a natural choice to listen to - very emotional music superbly played.

The Bis series of the keyboard solo music and concertos is excellent - no particular recommendation for a disk here, but if you liked Pletnev in this music you will probably enjoy investigating here.

If you want to try chamber music then the 3 Quartets for Fortepiano, Flute & Viola - Andreas Staier is the fortepianiast in the version I have on Deutsche Harmoni Mundi - is a good choice. This set of quartets are Bach at his best, and the sound of this soft hued combination is delightful.

And finally a recommendation for vocal music, try Die Aufstelleng und Himmelfahrt Jesu as performed by Herreweghe et al, which I think Bach himself considered to be the best thing he ever wrote. Its not as distinctive in actual fact as his instrumental music, but its still enjoyable.

Dec 10, 2005 at 3:56 AM Post #3 of 8
Wasn't expecting this thorough a reply. Thanks so much. It'll be fun tracking them all down, which I intend to do.

Dec 10, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #4 of 8
I second the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin's recording.

You can also try the recording by Roy Goodman and the Brandenburg Consort and Rachel Brown, flute: CPE Bach: Flute Concertos (Hyperion). CPE wrote many flute concertos because Frederick the Great, CPE's patron played the flute and was a not inconsiderable musician.

Musica Antiqua Köln also has a number of recordings of the music of the Bach Family including Bachiana: Double Concertos which includes the double concerto of Carl Phillip Emanuel written for harpsichord and the newly invented pianoforte.

By the way, while you are exploring CPE, you might be interested in picking up a recording of JS Bach's Musikalisches Opfer (Musical Offering). It is a series of variations, canons (ricercars), and fugues by JSB on a theme "suggested" by Frederick the Great. It is most probable that the theme was devised by CPE as a test of his father's skill at counterpoint and fugue, the old style which CPE had abandoned in favor of the new French "gallant" style of music. Jordi Savall has an excellent recording (Alia Vox).

Dec 10, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #5 of 8
Only caveat is that Bach reset the same concertos for flute, cello and keyboard - I think they were originally for flute, but I think they sound best for cello, but it comes down to taste really.

If the Akademie für Alte Musik Berlin disk appeals try their excellent WF Bach disk labelled Symphonies and Concerto for clavecin. WF is probably the most gifted of Bach's sons (and his favorite), but more or less wasted his talent away with a dissolute lifestyle. The music is a fascinating combination of Barock perturbed by CPE Bachisms.

CPE Bach is one of those influential composers who hardly anyone listens to, which is a pity because the music is very enjoyable, full of depth, and written in a most distinctive style. Enjoy investigating him!

Dec 10, 2005 at 11:22 AM Post #6 of 8
So far no one has mentioned CPE's works for organ, so
I will make a recommendation here: his six sonatas
and two concertos were composed for Princess Amalia,
Frederick II's sister. These are beautiful works and
make for an interesting listen, esp. in conjunction with
similar music composed by Haydn in his youth.
A recent recording that I have includes both in the same
set and has very good, stylish performances. The
acoustics are appropriately resonant.

organ.3.jpg

C. P. E. Bach
Orgelkonzerte, Orgelsonaten
Rainer Oster, Margarete Adorf, Ensemble Parlando
DHM/BMG 82876 51863-2
(2 CDs, 126 Min., aufgen. 5/2002)

Dec 10, 2005 at 12:53 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by zumaro
The 3 cello concertos - Leonhardt, Bylsma and the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment is a good version - are "well known" as far as this music is known at all, and are a natural choice to listen to - very emotional music superbly played.

B00004TQQL.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Leonhardt/Virgin Veritas
Very good 2CD budget price set with great sound, as mentioned by Zumaro you get 3 cello concertos and 4 "orchestral symphonies" aka Hamburg symphonies wq183

Dec 10, 2005 at 2:46 PM Post #8 of 8
I didn't know of that organ disc - I like the 2 organ concertos and had them on vinyl years ago (Marie-Claire Alain I think was playing). Thanks for the recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back