Any cost efficient moldable earplugs, or similar for DIY CIEM?
Jul 8, 2015 at 6:00 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

mzso

New Head-Fier
Hello!
I would like to know if anyone knows of moldable earplugs or similar stuff on the cheap that's usable as such even if it was designed for something else.
These are the cheapest ones I found myself: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Custom-molded-earplugs/1718649063.html
Though they don't look like much for the price. Maybe enough  for one try.

I would like to experiment with home-made custom IEMs in a similar fashion to this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmk-y_9exJ8

Jul 11, 2015 at 5:08 AM Post #4 of 6
I've done it a couple of times with Radians custom ear plugs.

I see. That seems to be most widespread

How did it pan out? Which earphone did you use?

I'm going for something that brings at least the sound quality of my Maxell Retro DJ and Superlux HD660, with a balanced/neutral sound signature at a minimum. It seems to be tricky, because most earphones on the cheaper end are claimed to be V-shaped.

Jul 11, 2015 at 10:21 AM Post #5 of 6
It worked out pretty well both times. I think we had one failure but my wife's ears are very small so there was no room for error. I did it with Meelectronics M6 Pros and Vsonic VSD1S IEMs. On both it really improved the isolation. The M6 Pro is mine and I have a little time on it so I can tell that the custom mold changes the sound signature slightly. It helped the bass most but it just seems like everything is a little more clear (probably due to the isolation). The only real downside is the M6 Pro doesn't have much of a lip on the nozzle so the custom tips don't hold on very well.

Jul 11, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #6 of 6
Silicone glue would help with that.
Anyway if/when I'll do it I think I'll cover the whole IEM.
Now what's left if figuring out which is the cheapes IEM, that has a sound quality good enough for me. Something like Superlux HD660, Maxell Retro DJ level. I'm mostly a headphone user because I found all IEMs to be inconvenient and loose, poorly fitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back