Any computer speakers that matches Westone UM2 in sound quality? Pls advice
Dec 7, 2007 at 5:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

vinho83

New Head-Fier
Hi to everyone who's passionate about their music, my quest for better music started here 2 years ago when i bought a pair of grados SR80 and subsequently a pair of westone UM2. The UM2 brought me into a whole new world of sound and music, raised standards to new levels by producing details,clarity n balance u'll never get in a normal pair of earphones. e UM2's still serving me v well after 2 yrs of use but i cant be wearing them all e time right
tongue.gif

Im currently using a Creative Gigaworks 5.1 as my computer speakers. it serves well as gaming n movie speakers but music wise i dont think it matches up to e UM2 at all, not even halfway there. Im not sure if i should be comparing earphones to speakers but is there any recommendations for a set of computer speakers that would produce music that can match the UM2? i'll love to keep it simple, no amps, no complicated setups, jus like e UM2 plug in n enjoy
biggrin.gif

Budget would be 250-300USD. Currently looking at altec lansing LX6021 n Aego M-System and BOSE companion 3( many ppl hate BOSE i know
cool.gif
)

please feel free to give advice n comments. thanks in advance

Dec 7, 2007 at 8:03 PM Post #2 of 14
The Bose speakers are rubbish. Best bet is get a cheap amp and bookselfs. Try eBay, there are loads of good and cheap amps on there. T-amp maybe?

Dec 7, 2007 at 8:15 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinho83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi to everyone who's passionate about their music, my quest for better music started here 2 years ago when i bought a pair of grados SR80 and subsequently a pair of westone UM2. The UM2 brought me into a whole new world of sound and music, raised standards to new levels by producing details,clarity n balance u'll never get in a normal pair of earphones. e UM2's still serving me v well after 2 yrs of use but i cant be wearing them all e time right
tongue.gif

Im currently using a Creative Gigaworks 5.1 as my computer speakers. it serves well as gaming n movie speakers but music wise i dont think it matches up to e UM2 at all, not even halfway there. Im not sure if i should be comparing earphones to speakers but is there any recommendations for a set of computer speakers that would produce music that can match the UM2? i'll love to keep it simple, no amps, no complicated setups, jus like e UM2 plug in n enjoy
biggrin.gif

Budget would be 250-300USD. Currently looking at altec lansing LX6021 n Aego M-System and BOSE companion 3( many ppl hate BOSE i know
cool.gif
)

please feel free to give advice n comments. thanks in advance

I'll 2nd the bose are rubbish statement. They impress those that don't know or haven't heard better, but after experiencing hifi systems other than bose it's REALLY difficult to justify their exorbitant prices.

what's your budget?

I can recommend some active speakers that will run you $349 or their little brothers which are about $199 I think. check out audioengine speakers.

Swan's also have a good reputation but i've not heard them. They are probably not as good as the more expensive audioengine's which, imo, rival systems costing significantly more. I have mine on speaker stands and use an external DAC (emu 0404) to feed them and am quite happy with how they sound. 349 + 175 (dac) + 100 (stands)

beyond the swan's or audioengine you will have to get an amp and speakers like the other poster suggested.

Dec 8, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #4 of 14
Computer speakers can be alright but will always suffer from making too many compromises to really be taken seriously for music.

I suggest to you two options; either active studio monitors (active= integrated amps) or passive monitors or well suited bookshelf's.

If you are going to be placing the speakers on a desk arrangement active or passive monitors are probably the best way to go as they are designed for nearfield use. Going active will be cheaper in the end but passive will give you a better upgrade path, and probably a better long term investment. You can check out Sweet Water's selection, they have a ton of stuff that covers a wide price range.
Studio Monitors | Sweetwater.com

I was originally going go with monitors till I deiced to go all out with the DIY approach and build my own speakers (currently a work in progress).

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:03 AM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Bose speakers are rubbish...

Many audionuts loath Bose, but respectfully I point out there was a time audiophiles approved. For people who have no audio clue, nor want to, Bose "may" be the best route. The Companion 3 are not just speakers but also an external soundcard. Their "high price" ($399), matches the Creative Elite Pro cost. Purchasers have sung praise and the blues, but all that matters is that the purchaser is a happy and satisfied one at the end of the day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...Best bet is get a cheap amp and bookselfs. Try eBay, there are loads of good and cheap amps on there. T-amp maybe?

I've done the amp/bookshelf combo and will state it is certainly good sound. However, given situations of serious lack of space, work circumstances (not allowed, open to theft) or budget restrictions, that isn't always the answer either.

I have been utilizing the original Creative Live! with a direct digital out to Cambridge speakers which do the D/A work. I get no noise. The sound is very analog, warm and passionate. The early Cambride digitals were really great sounding computer speakers. However, they are no longer manufactured and are getting harder to find (got mine on eBay), thus even I am researching an upgrade. I have read good reviews about Firestone's mini line. I may revert to the amp/bookshelf setup via their mini-line. I plan to take my time and review, hopefully first hand, some of the new equipment. Check out the flexibility of Firestone's line, or a similar product. Good Luck!

*As to IEMs: I hate IEMs. I cannot imagine they would not be prone to fatiging issues as other headphones.

Either route, PC speakers (with or w/o SC), or amp/speakers, could easily exceed your stated budget. If you're not used shy, check out eBay. If you prefer virgin, give the newer PC speakers a listen as well as some lower priced mini-amps and speakers. I'm sure if you look around, you'll find a very pleasing setup.

Dec 10, 2007 at 2:21 AM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Companion 3 are not just speakers but also an external soundcard. Their "high price" ($399), matches the Creative Elite Pro cost.

That's not really a fair comparison--I highly doubt that the Bose's DAC section matches the one in the Elite Pro, nor would the Elite Pro be necessary for a 2.1 system. Plus, both the Elite Pro and the Companion 3 are overpriced and bested by cheaper solutions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DocHamm
I have been utilizing the original Creative Live! with a direct digital out to Cambridge speakers which do the D/A work.

This is a little off-topic, but it's important to note that the Creative Live! series of sound cards resample all audio to 48 kHz using bad algorithms, including audio that is sent through the digital output. You might consider upgrading; even the $25 Chaintech AV-710 would be a worthwhile upgrade, assuming it hasn't been discontinued (it has suddenly become harder to find, but it is the Christmas season after all).

Dec 10, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #8 of 14
If your serious about music "computer speakers" will never be a good solution as they all share the same compromises. Namely sub's crossed far to high, and mains that are too small to cover the lower mid-range properly.

The Ebay idea isn't a bad one, you can find people off loading their monitors for upgrades fairly often.

Dec 10, 2007 at 3:09 AM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's not really a fair comparison--I highly doubt that the Bose's DAC section matches the one in the Elite Pro, nor would the Elite Pro be necessary for a 2.1 system. Plus, both the Elite Pro and the Companion 3 are overpriced and bested by cheaper solutions.

My comparison was merely a price one, and I do agree they are over-priced. The attraction of the Elite is the higher quality chipset(s) and breakout box, especially for amateur musicians. It's ashame they don't sell that card solo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is a little off-topic, but it's important to note that the Creative Live! series of sound cards resample all audio to 48 kHz using bad algorithms, including audio that is sent through the digital output. You might consider upgrading; even the $25 Chaintech AV-710 would be a worthwhile upgrade, assuming it hasn't been discontinued (it has suddenly become harder to find, but it is the Christmas season after all).

I appreciate the mention and advice. To keep on topic, I will just add that the original Live! utilized a daughter card with a custom 9-pin mini-din digital out (S/PDIF) which, granted, provided subtle sonic improvements, but improvements none-the-less. You gain more clarity and separation between instruments. Combined with the FPS2000, the clarity is quite stunning. Yes, DSP was fixed and first upsampled to 48kHz (from 44.1, 32, etc) then back to 44.1 kHz for output, but it is still (IMHO) far better than some other alternatives. Kloss was a wonderful engineer who developed many loved speaker systems. My two fav's (+ best value for the $) being my original Advents and Cambrige. My ultimate decision maker is my ears, especially as mine are susceptable to painful vibrations from certain frequencies, I claim no technical sound engineering expertise, but I do know what pleases my ears and, most who visit my humble domain leave with a comment or two of praise, which is good enough for me.
wink.gif

Dec 10, 2007 at 4:34 AM Post #10 of 14
hi guys thanks for all e advice n suggestions ! some background info, im a proud user of a mac mini
smily_headphones1.gif
n im from sunny singapore so buying from ebay international will usually set me back on shipping costs badly (esp for subwoofers) . anyway i got myself a set of Accoustic Aego M 2.1 speakers set aego m series : acoustic energy( not sure if its popular in ur region) ! n after some 40hrs of burn in, its definitely worth it
biggrin.gif

yeah and as advised, im planning to get a external DAC. but there are quite alot out there on the market. i got this model in mind after recommendations from other forums. Superpro USB SUPER Pro DAC 707 USB anyone has any experience with this product n how does it compare to emu 0404? i heard emu 0404 is pretty good too but its out of stock locally now
frown.gif

lastly, i got a super noobish question. what really does amplifiers do to your sound system? i mean my aego m are self powered thru e subwoofers and can i still use a t-amp for them? i read a great review about this set of tiny yet great t-amps Trends Audio TA-10 Ver. 1.1 Tripath Amp, any advice for pairing them with a external DAC and my aego m set? my budget for e external DAC would be from 100 to 150bucks

thanks !

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spookykinkajou /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll 2nd the bose are rubbish statement. They impress those that don't know or haven't heard better, but after experiencing hifi systems other than bose it's REALLY difficult to justify their exorbitant prices.

what's your budget?

I can recommend some active speakers that will run you $349 or their little brothers which are about $199 I think. check out audioengine speakers.

Swan's also have a good reputation but i've not heard them. They are probably not as good as the more expensive audioengine's which, imo, rival systems costing significantly more. I have mine on speaker stands and use an external DAC (emu 0404) to feed them and am quite happy with how they sound. 349 + 175 (dac) + 100 (stands)

beyond the swan's or audioengine you will have to get an amp and speakers like the other poster suggested.

Dec 10, 2007 at 5:15 AM Post #11 of 14
There is no practical way use an external amp with those speakers so the short answer to the T-amp question is no. Even if you could you probably wouldn't notice a big difference with those speakers.

As for what the amp dose it's basically the power source for your sound. A better amp will give you cleaner and louder sound with less distortion.

That Super Pro would be a good upgrade over the iMacs output. Alternatively something like the Firestone Fubar III is also a headphone amp which would be a nice feature to have.

Dec 10, 2007 at 5:32 AM Post #12 of 14
thanks Operandi
biggrin.gif
i was tempted to get e t-amp along with e superpro now i know i dun quite need e amp for my aego m. i heard the superpro was slightly better than e Fubar II (w/o headphone amp) , superpro's out of stock locally too !! argh should be restocking this week, yeah Fubar III is a great option too thou its more ex than the superpro. im hoping the additional feature of Fubar III's built in head amp will better enhance my grado SR80.. what setup are u using now?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is no practical way use an external amp with those speakers so the short answer to the T-amp question is no. Even if you could you probably wouldn't notice a big difference with those speakers.

As for what the amp dose it's basically the power source for your sound. A better amp will give you cleaner and louder sound with less distortion.

That Super Pro would be a good upgrade over the iMacs output. Alternatively something like the Firestone Fubar III is also a headphone amp which would be a nice feature to have.

Dec 10, 2007 at 5:59 AM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by vinho83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks Operandi
biggrin.gif
i was tempted to get e t-amp along with e superpro now i know i dun quite need e amp for my aego m. i heard the superpro was slightly better than e Fubar II (w/o headphone amp) , superpro's out of stock locally too !! argh should be restocking this week, yeah Fubar III is a great option too thou its more ex than the superpro. im hoping the additional feature of Fubar III's built in head amp will better enhance my grado SR80.. what setup are u using now?

Hah, right now nothing special; just my 4.1 Logitechs (forget the model) and my Sony MDR-V6s.

I'm in the process of designing and building (more so designing at this point) some pretty high-end speakers to go on my desk (see here). Hope to get the construction started within a month or so.

Dec 10, 2007 at 6:37 AM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Operandi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hah, right now nothing special; just my 4.1 Logitechs (forget the model) and my Sony MDR-V6s.

I'm in the process of designing and building (more so designing at this point) some pretty high-end speakers to go on my desk (see here). Hope to get the construction started within a month or so.

all the best for ur upcoming setup
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back