Any component suggestions for a DIY HD600 cable???
Sep 17, 2010 at 9:14 PM Post #16 of 22
What kind of amp are you using with your HD-600? I've found amplification to be the biggest change you can make to fill out the bass while keeping things neutral.

Sep 18, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #18 of 22
I'm getting my dad to help who's an engineer so hopefully it should turn out fairly decent, I'll be sure to show him your advice though just incase he's not sure how to go about it. As for the price of a stock cable in the UK, It's around £25 so around $40 dollars... The cable I'm making is going to cost no more than a fiver more or so, so It's worth the experiment I would say. Thank god I didn't buy into the Cardas cable hype for nearly 20% the price of the Mogami if It's not going to do anything different. There is a hell of a lot of talk about cables changing the sound of headphone on the net as you're probably well aware, lots of talk about the infamous 'Sennheiser veil'. Maybe it's the amplfication that's an issue but I always did feel like the HD600's we're holding back somewhat. That's another topic I wanted to talk about and I'm glad It's been brought up, I'm plugging them straight into an old Mackie mixer, does this do them justice? Or would possibly adding amplification in the chain from the headphone out be a good idea?

(I just posted this as a reply to the previous post and it didn't show up, apologies if it turns up twice)

Sep 19, 2010 at 1:30 AM Post #20 of 22

Quote:
I'm getting my dad to help who's an engineer so hopefully it should turn out fairly decent, I'll be sure to show him your advice though just incase he's not sure how to go about it. As for the price of a stock cable in the UK, It's around £25 so around $40 dollars... The cable I'm making is going to cost no more than a fiver more or so, so It's worth the experiment I would say. Thank god I didn't buy into the Cardas cable hype for nearly 20% the price of the Mogami if It's not going to do anything different. There is a hell of a lot of talk about cables changing the sound of headphone on the net as you're probably well aware, lots of talk about the infamous 'Sennheiser veil'. Maybe it's the amplfication that's an issue but I always did feel like the HD600's we're holding back somewhat. That's another topic I wanted to talk about and I'm glad It's been brought up, I'm plugging them straight into an old Mackie mixer, does this do them justice? Or would possibly adding amplification in the chain from the headphone out be a good idea?

(I just posted this as a reply to the previous post and it didn't show up, apologies if it turns up twice)

Well I'm very glad you didn't buy into the hype about cables as well!

It is a huge con and people waste a great deal of money on it.

I think the cable your dad will make will be first class.

I'm in the UK as well btw.

That Sennheiser veil is a separate issue entirely and to be honest I don't know the cure, I don't have a huge knowledge of Sennheiser headphones in particular, although I have used one pair for 20 years and I really like those ones.

At a guess maybe amplification that is perhaps a little bit bright might work well with the Sennheisers, but to be honest someone who knows your particular headphones will have a much better plan than me.

Personally I am a great believer in good amplification and source for headphones. I think that with good amplification your Sennheisers will be really very good indeed.

Oct 30, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #22 of 22
I just got a cable from Ebay. I did not mind paying the $100.00 for 7ft. of Mogami Starquad, a Furutech FP-704, Cardas Connectors with a really nice braided covering instead of techflex, it also included the shipping.
Sure the guy made some money on me, but he made it look MUCH better than I EVER could have. It SEEMS to sound better than my REALLY old Clau Blue cable. I really like it and for $100, I think I did pretty good.
Is there better, maybe but I like mine and it looks awesome. Here are some pics of the cable before it was sent to me. He would make me any connectors I wanted too! 

http://img176.imageshack.us/i/p1030305f.jpg/
http://img801.imageshack.us/i/p1030301y.jpg/
http://img263.imageshack.us/i/p1030302r.jpg/

I like the way it looks and sounds, I could not do it better its worth it to me for the profit he made on me!
Hope this helps somebody!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back