Any completely silent notebooks as a media player?
Mar 12, 2010 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

bcwang

500+ Head-Fier
Has anyone had experience with any notebooks or netbooks that are absolutely completely silent? I know there are some fanless netbooks like the dell mini 9 and mini 10. But that does not guarantee silence. I've heard in some notebooks even when the fan stops, CPU frequency switching noise, some noise that changes with the backlight setting, HDD noise, etc....

So if anyone has first hand experience with absolutely silent notebooks, please let me know what models would fit this requirement!

Mar 12, 2010 at 7:35 PM Post #2 of 4
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcwang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...I know there are some fanless netbooks...

I'm fairly certain that this is the best you can do, no laptops built are entirely silent afaik. If you were to find a fanless netbook with an SSD and an LED display I would say you're as close as you can get.

Mar 12, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 4
My Dell Mini 9 is silent as far as I can tell. The USB hard disk will be the noisiest part of that set up. I put a 64 gig SSD in it, but that still is only a third the size of my ALAC folder size.

I also find the speed of the netbook to be too slow to be tolerable for me for anything but simple web surfing or email, but then I suppose thats what it is for.

Mar 13, 2010 at 2:39 AM Post #4 of 4
The Dell Mini's. Some of them are fanless. Replace the harddrive with a SSD drive. Turn off SpeedStep. Undervolt the processor as much as possible. Use a specialized 'OS'.

That's about as close as you're going to get. And it's nearing perfection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back