Any complains for e500pth?
Dec 28, 2006 at 1:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 52

guardiangel

New Head-Fier
i've been constantly reading about IEMs for the past 2 days now.
so much contradictions about ety and shure... e4c vs ety and no bass and so much... just ARGGGHHH #$%*(&#$*(%&#
couldn't it be much easier?

so far i haven't REALLY heard a baaaaad thing about e500pth YET...
and YES i've read all reviews... from this site/cnet/ilounge/apple/ and most major electronic store so plz dun flame me...

from what i know e500pth has the "better" bass of most shure and 3ple drivers.
e5c and e500pth cost the same but e5c has only dual drivers...

so whats the downside to e500pth? and shure even reduced the MSRP >.>
confused.gif

just wanna hear what the pros gotta say
orphsmile.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 2:19 PM Post #2 of 52
bad = majorly rolled off treble
good = everything else

Dec 28, 2006 at 3:09 PM Post #3 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iceroid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bad = majorly rolled off treble
good = everything else

If you're someone who likes an open and airy sound, you will be (at least initially) very dissapointed with the E500. From my memory, I seem to remember the E5c were quite similar in the highs. As many people will point out, you will eventually acclimatise to the sound of the E500s and discover the details exposed in the rest of the frequency range (bass - mids). The E500s are undeniably coloured, but very enjoyable nonetheless.

IMO, the E4c are more balanced and will take a lot less time to acclimatise to. All IEMs take a little time to get used to, as the presentation is starkly different to any full sized headphone.

Dec 28, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #4 of 52
^^ x3

Having the E500s for close to 2 months now, I'd say the only bad thing about them is the treble rolloff when they're straight out of the iPod headphone jack. BUT...this is easily fixed with a Hornet M. Out of my Echo Indigo DJ, they sound superb.

When I listen to it via iPod --> Hornet M, I can't really find any area I'm disappointed in. If anything, I wish it had a larger sound stage, but given that all IEMs lack in this area, I can't fault it.

Dec 28, 2006 at 3:54 PM Post #5 of 52
The E500 high end is also easily fixed with just a tad of EQ. The E500 are capable of high-end detail rivaling anything out there, but for some reason Shure chose to tailor the sound more towards the mids. But once you fix it with EQ the E500 have no rival among universal IEMs except perhaps for the Triple-Fi (depending on individual taste), but the Triple-Fi form factor just doesn't work for me at all.

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #6 of 52
When music is not playing , I notice a hiss.( direct from iPod)
This never occurs when using Ety er4s.
Overall, I prefer the E500.

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:41 PM Post #7 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Also fixed with the Hornet M.
icon10.gif

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:42 PM Post #8 of 52
I like highs too, but think I have been acclimated to the shure sound. I run them out of my Xin micro and think they sound great. I played with EQing the highs for about a week, but I have returned to the unEQed sig. I guess the only downside is that they pick up all the details of bad recordings- somehow I find it hard to conceive of that as a "fault" of the e500s.

In any case, they are great IEMs and if you dont like some aspect of them, you can easily EQ them, or- at worst- sell them at a minimal loss.

Dec 28, 2006 at 4:46 PM Post #9 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by JLai /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also fixed with the Hornet M.
icon10.gif

Interesting.
I'm considering buying an amp for my e500.
The Hornet M is in my list.

What is the difference between Hornet and Hornet M?
Whic one should I get?

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:12 PM Post #11 of 52
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakmax /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You could also use the included attentuator to rid yourself of the hiss with the Ipod/E500 combo.

Dec 28, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #12 of 52
anyone know of any amps that will make the bass sound less muddy (make it tighter and less bass) and make the treble shine? What do you guys use for amps?

Dec 29, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #15 of 52
I find the bass too tight and flat, there is almost no extension, it might be related to the setup I have, I'm not sure
confused.gif

The quantity of bass is superb, exactly as much as I would have like, it's something I missed a lot with the E4c, which resulted in a small/narrow sound.
The E500 makes up for it big time, with full and big/broad sound !
basshead.gif

Highs are a little recessed/closed, at least they are not sharp/edgy.

I agree that there is a decent amount of coloration in the mids, but it's warm and shabby
icon10.gif

Aside from that, they are pretty good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back