any comparison of Alien DAC v Opus USB Module?
Jun 1, 2008 at 10:51 PM Post #2 of 10
I've heard both of them but never bothered to make a direct comparison.

From what I remember of both I would say that they are on the same level, with a bit different sound signatures. THe alien dac will be a cheaper to build and if you use the extra $$ to get a pair of nice film caps for the output then I would go with the Alien.

My 0,02€

Manuel

Jun 2, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #3 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by MASantos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've heard both of them but never bothered to make a direct comparison.

From what I remember of both I would say that they are on the same level, with a bit different sound signatures.

Yes. They use a related chip, so you'd expect them to be similar.

They do serve different purposes, though, so are not really directly comparable.
The opus modules' real purpose is to convert USB to I2S. I suspect the stand-alone aspect
is more 'incidental' than by deliberate design.
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

(why am I getting a feeling of Deja Vu ? Has this been asked before, fairly recently ? )

Jun 3, 2008 at 12:31 AM Post #4 of 10
Yes, I am fully aware that while similar they are quite different in function even though they can both be used as standalone DACs. I've gone back and forth between just using an Alien or getting the Opus module and then picking up an Opus board when they come in stock.

It does look like the Opus module could benefit from some boutique caps at the output as well...

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:20 AM Post #5 of 10
Search through the Alien DAC thread, looking for "Muse" or "Soniccap". Yes, the Alien can also benefit from boutique caps at the output.

One difficult thing about building an Alien right now is getting a hold of the regulators. TI only makes them twice a year (I believe) and they are very out of stock online. Bummer!

Edit: Just read up on the Opus. Looks like a nice unit. How could they be so out of stock on everything!

Jun 4, 2008 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by bhjazz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edit: Just read up on the Opus. Looks like a nice unit. How could they be so out of stock on everything!

The Opus (and soon the Buffalo) is(are) an awesome dac that's spreading like wildfire among hi-fi people, its made (they completely build & test most of them, and sell at just enough above cost to cover shipping, labeling, and equipment like the reflow oven they bought) by 2 guys who are married & have families and only do this as a hobby, and it can run with dacs in the several hundreds of dollars to $1000+ area

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:18 PM Post #7 of 10
yeah, they're out so I was actually thinking about getting the Opus and running it alone for now and then picking up an Opus board when they come in stock. The only thing I haven't fully figured out is the power supply of providing so many voltages... without spending a fortune

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:28 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yeah, they're out so I was actually thinking about getting the Opus and running it alone for now and then picking up an Opus board when they come in stock. The only thing I haven't fully figured out is the power supply of providing so many voltages... without spending a fortune

The USB board is bus powered. The rest of the DAC boards can run from 7.5V, as they have their own regs on board.
You only need the +/- 15V if you use the Ballsie or IVY for the output stage.
The recommended power supplies are excellent.

Jun 4, 2008 at 12:42 PM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by akione /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The USB board is bus powered. The rest of the DAC boards can run from 7.5V, as they have their own regs on board.
You only need the +/- 15V if you use the Ballsie or IVY for the output stage.
The recommended power supplies are excellent.

Yes, I am aware of this... however it will be housed in the same chasis with:
Millet Hybrid Max: 24vac input, regulated to 27vdc
OptiVol: will be giving it 27vdc input from Max
Darwin Source Selector: 5v
Opus/Alien: bus powered

the Darwin is the only thing I haven't finalized how I'm powering yet.

So, if I populate the power supply section on the Max I still need a 120vac-24vac transformer, or I need to build a separate power supply to give the amp 24-30vdc, that's on top of the 5v and 7.5v. While not over the top or anything like that, it's enough to where the parts to do so could add up quickly.

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:41 PM Post #10 of 10
alright, I've just been looking at the Opus Module and C12 and C13 could look like they could benefit from a cap upgrade. From my limited schematic reading ability they appear to serve the same function as CR and CL in the Alien.

http://twistedpearaudio.com/images/opus/usb_sch_1.0.pdf

I think I'm leaning towards the Opus module as I've been considering adding an Opus board if they ever come in stock again...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back